Chapter 38 ~ Never, Ever, In This Endeavor

Start from the beginning

"I know, at least I hope so anyway. "Were you ever in love, Rana? You always give people amazing advice, but you never relate it... I know that you and Uncle Elijah had something, was it more than... Then friends?" Smiling cleverly, she laughs and grins widely.

She pulls her hair to one side, and purses her lips at me. "Not that's any of your business but, yes, I did have a few flings. Just a few, nothing really special; Nothing like love your life special. Hey now! What happened between Elijah and I is ancient history, and my business only. So, butt out!" But by the slight pink tint on her cheeks, and the way her eyes start dancing a jig I instantly know the answer.

Chuckling I smirk back, and give her a playful elbow. When my skin should have touched her's, it doesn't but it doesn't stop either. It's like touching silk - cold silk, that sends a million little butterflies all through your body. Before attacking your stomach and moving up your torso and into your throat, where they flap there wings a million times before soaring out. Leaving a trail of tingly feelings behind.

"I might not be the perfect Empath, but I know that look! Your cheeks are getting pink, your eyes are dancing, and your getting defensive... You liked him!

"And more than a friend to... Oh my god, no wonder he was such a dick when I read his journal about you! Huh! My stick in the mud Uncle, actually loved someone." Chuckling and grinning in surprise, Rana stands up.

Her arms quickly cross over her chest, and she purses her lips at me. And we square off in a fierce staring contest.

-----------------------------------------

End Adriana's POV, start Hayley's POV

Stalking through the compound, every daywalker scatters from my path sensing my rage. All but one. Growling wickedly, my eyes turn gold as I storm towards him. He barely has time to register me before I have him pinned against a wall. "What the hell?" He asks, and pushes me off him, and I grab a  chair and snap the leg off before pinning him against the wall again. Pointing the stake directly at his heart. 

"Want to do that again?" I snarl, and he rolls his eyes and tries to push against me. Causing the tip of the stake to enter his chest, and he winces in pain.

"Knock it off! I won't hesitate to kill you, not after what you did. When you mess with Adriana, you mess with all of us, including me! So whatever is going on with you, stay away from my daughter!" Snarling, I push the tip of the stake further in. 

He huffs, and stares into my eyes. "That tickles." A cocky grin erupts on his face, and I jam the stake deep into his chest. Letting it brush his heart. "Okay! Okay... Look, she came to me not the other way around. I can't promise anything but," I yank the stake upwards letting it snap a blood vessel - or five, "But-but I... I can try. Okay?" He chokes out.

Narrowing my eyes, I smirk before ripping it out. "See? That wasn't so hard was it?" He clutches his chest as he heals, looking up at me with those puppy dog eyes. Does he think I should feel bad for him? Because that is not going to happen!

"I just got my daughter back, I'm not about to lose her again because she likes a good for nothing asshole! Stay way from her." Growling, I release him before turning and brushing past Marcel who grabs my arm. 

Whirling around, I yank away from him and glare at him. He holds his hands up in defense, and stares at me for a split second. "Hey, hey look I just want to know why your attacking my guy..." Wow, this guy is totally clueless about his own people!

Rolling my eyes and snorting slightly, I shake my head slightly. "You are so clueless Marcel! Kyle turned off his humanity switch, and now Adriana is sitting at home crushed. And I-we don't want to see her like this, especially now that Astra has been so quiet.