[10] The Beast

"How are we doing on time?"

I cast my eyes to the top right corner of the holo-map where the numbers read forty minutes after ten. "We've got time," is my only response as my eyes return to focus on the slowly diminishing green circle. Somewhere in that radius is our target and while the thought of finally getting into the game enthralls me, anxiety still reigns supreme.

"It's a beginner level mission, right? So things shouldn't be too bad," Chan attempts to reassure me but I don't doubt that he too could use an extra push.

Nodding, I pull him gently to my side so he can get a better look. "The circle is practically the same size as our indicators now, which means the beast is only a few more meters ahead. We should split up to secure that it doesn't get through in case it tries to run."

Chan nods in a silent agreement, opening the screen to his inventory as he instructs me to do the same. "You might need a few things then, just in case." A message pops up on the display in front of me, confirming my acceptance of his trade. I'm rewarded with a few potions to restore my health and a sword that hardly looks like it could cut butter let alone a monster but it'll have to do for the time being.

"Assuming we don't die, you can probably get your hands on some better equipment after the quest is over."

"A charming thought," I reply, twisting the blade in my hand as I watch the rays of the moon reflect off it's surface. About as prepared as we'll ever be, we push forward a few meters before branching off to the left and right. The dead limbs of trees along with their discarded orange leaves threaten to expose our cover with every step.

There's a creeping fog that obscures everything that I can't reach with my own hands and a rustling wind with a personal vendetta against my hair. I glance at the map once more and turn to the left where it says the beast is right in front of me. I can see Chan's indicator flashing on the other side of the beast's indicator and I switch to party chat where I hear the subtle coarseness of his breathing.

"Ready when you are."

I lower myself to the ground just a bit until I'm resting on the balls of my feet. My tongue races across my lips but the frigid air dries them out almost immediately. "Okay," I breathe, temporarily blinded even further  by my own steaming breath. Through our chat, I hear Chan's careful footsteps match my own in a perfect crunching harmony.

"Stop," he orders and for good reason.

A shift in the fog reveals a creature with phantasmagoric movements. It's near impossible to figure out what it is but the girth and towering extension of its silhouette suggests that our weapons will be of little use against it. Clearly standing at its full height, it easily towered over a few trees and at the sound of its bellowing roar, even the earth beneath our feet trembled at its voice.

"Uhh, Ree? What was the plan after we found this thing?" Chan's voice edges on the verge of panic as he awaits my decision.

Sinking my teeth into my bottom lip, I quickly scan the forest floor and spot a smooth stone tucked underneath a few leaves. My eyes make the connection long before my mind catches on as I snatch up the rock and creep forward. "I'm going to get closer."

"Like hell you are!"

I make what is likely a terrible mistake and switch the party chat off. The voice in the back of my head that provoked me in the first place leaves no room for the voice of reason. It's the only possible explanation as to why I push further into the fog with this stone clutched tightly in hand.

The beast returns to all four of its feet and though it's not nearly as tall as before, the racing in my chest doesn't ease up at the sight. A lump the size of the stone in my hand rests in my throat and it's with great difficulty that I manage to force it down.