Chapter Eight: The Dinner

It's been two weeks since the start of the school year and it's been a rollercoaster ride for Eren. From moving to a new country on his own (although his mom is on her way) to settling into a new school relatively easily thanks to some pretty amazing friends. He's managed to become good friends with Reiner and Berthold and made himself a bit more than just an acquaintance to Annie because of it. Krista is always cheerful and willing to get involved which usually drags Ymir into stuff. He isn't super close to them although they get along well enough but the same cannot be said for Connie and Sasha. The two of them are always great fun to be around and Eren is fond of their company. Just remember to hide your food. Top advice Eren learned early on.

That being said, no one has helped Eren more than Armin and Mikasa. Armin, of course, is his best friend and has been for most of his life. They've picked things up from where they left off before Armin moved. It's actually his relationship with Mikasa that has him baffled. She's been nothing but sweet, supportive, friendly and an all-round great person. A sudden urge to get closer to her is creeping up on him, getting stronger every time they spend quality time together, but he is afraid to do so. He can't risk her finding out who and what he REALLY is, fearful of the repercussions. His constant nightmares don't help the situation.

On a brighter note, Eren and Connie have both earned a spot in the school team although their involvement in it hasn't been what they were hoping for. They are yet to play a game, both sitting on the bench for the entirety of a 1-1 draw. Jean getting the goal from the penalty spot after being fouled.

                    Mikasa's parents have returned from their long trip, bringing plenty of souvenirs with them, and have agreed to the dinner that their daughter and new mysterious(ish) friend have planned. Eren's mom has also agreed and today is the day she finally arrives. Eren is driving to the airport, super excited to see his mother again. His excitement making the long drive tolerable. Right now, there is nothing he wants more than to see his mother.

Once he gets to the place his mom told him to meet her, he spots a woman with a long side braid the same colour as his hair. She also looks a lot like he did when he was younger. "Mom! Over here!" he yells. His arms waving frantically in the air as he jogs towards her. He wraps his arms around her and hugs her with all his might.

"Easy their Kiddo. You're squeezing the air out of me." She chuckles out. Hearing his mother's voice and laughter allow Eren to forget his problems and feel genuinely at peace. Eren's mother, Carla, frees one of her arms and ruffles her son's hair, placing a kiss on his forehead too. Eren reluctantly breaks the hug and grabs his mothers' bags. Time to get her home.

The two of them spend the long drive home as a chance for some car karaoke. Singing along to some of their favourite songs. A fun little past time to keep them busy while they are stuck in heavy motorway traffic. Carla also asks Eren to recap her on everything he's been up to. This, despite the fact Eren has been doing exactly that anyway over the phone ever since he landed here three months ago.

"Tell me about Mikasa again."

"She's a friend from school. I usually drop her to and from school since she lives across the road from us." Eren doesn't bother going into full details like he normally does over the phone. He can tell she remembers everything. The grin on her face giving her away. Of course, sometimes you have to fight fire with fire and Carla is more than happy to do so.

"You, making a friend that isn't Armin. A girl too. She must be cute," Carla teases.

"MOM!" Eren yells. His mother doubles over in laughter because of it. Once she recovers, wiping the tear from her eyes, she lowers the volume of the music.

"I'm messing with you. Although, I am looking forward to meeting your friend soon." She shifts in her seat to try and find a comfortable position.