Ellie only stared ahead at the wall, eyes transfixed as if she could see that disgusting carcass—and she was fascinated by it. I thought maybe I couldn't snap her out of her trance.

"And that's how it all ends," she suddenly continues. "It's a brief story but it holds a lot of weight. If only things had been different, if only the family was more understanding, if only the man wasn't disturbed by some random misfortune. He didn't do anything wrong and died a lowly vermin, everyone he loved before despising him for becoming something he never intended to become. Yet even after all that neglect, he died still caring deeply for them. But everyone moved on, happy to forget such a grotesque monster they once called a son."

It was hard for me to respond to such a downcast summary. The look in Ellie's eyes was deep and sorrowful, almost as if she could relate. I didn't even want to disturb her as she gazed down at the beetle on the cover. All I could do was sit and share her silence as my anxious thoughts from earlier came back once again. I don't feel so good anymore...

Suddenly, bearing a smile on her porcelain face, she chirped, "Anyway, enough of that. How about dinner?"

At the mention of dinner, I totally forgot that I hadn't eaten anything all day. Not once did my stomach growl. And I was hesitant to tell her that I didn't have an appetite, but as she leaped up and hopped into the kitchen, I figured not to say anything. I guess I should probably eat anyway. If I can.

Ellie began gathering ingredients from the fridge or cabinets, meanwhile I just watched her by the doorway. As she crouched by the oven, she caught my gaze and asked, "Are you okay?"

I managed a small smile. "Yeah, I'm just, uh, you know, a bit tired."

Her eyes sparkled sweetly as she said, "Go ahead and rest on the couch then. I'll call you when everything is ready."

"No, I'd like to help if I can," I replied.

She looked a bit surprised but wasn't bothered by my offer. "Alright then. Help me chop the veggies then."

Without any more instruction, I went ahead and got to work. She handed me all the ingredients and I went to cutting them as she needed. As I started dicing, I stole a glance at her by the stove, turning things on and getting everything ready. She had her hair pulled up today, so the nape of her neck was exposed. Her skin was so pale and pristine. I hope the rest of her is like that when I ask her to show me.

And then I couldn't help but think about my worries all over again. How do I find out the truth without making things weird? What do I do or say? Am I really paranoid over something so bizarre as the idea of Ellie essentially being the new Zalgo? What a ridiculous idea! Although I've experienced stranger...

Besides, back in Illinois 3 years ago, when we first had to fight that demonic bastard, she almost became the enemy too. She was under his control, and it took a lot of persuasion and bruises to snap her out of it. But that situation was different. Now she's supposedly the new reign, which in that case is a lot worse.

Thinking about it now, Ellie has almost killed me plenty of times (how romantic), but somehow we managed to make things right. I mean, I doubt what Death told me is true, but if so, she wouldn't hurt me. After all we've been through, surely she couldn't even bring herself to do so. Surely...right?

In all my obsessive thinking, I didn't pay attention to where the knife was going, and ended up slicing into my finger while I was chopping. I cursed aloud immediately and reeled away as the knife clattered on the countertop. Ellie was quick to spin around and come to my side.

"Are you okay?" she asked me fervently.

I held my other hand under my bleeding finger and muttered, "Yeah, just a slip of my grip. I hope I didn't get any on the vegetables or anything."