Chapter 52

[Hello, fleshie beans.

This chapter gets a bit intense so I'm giving a brief warning because I always do that when things get gory, yea for sure. I totally always do that. Because gore baaaad. But it taste good tho. also you all may hate me after this and Epstein didn't kill himself

Enjoy, fleshie beans.]

Stay Creepy :)

Chapter 52

Jeff's POV

The cabin felt too stuffy and suffocating for me to stay inside most of the day. The weather hadn't changed at all, but I couldn't stand being in that wooden house. That house is supposed to be my home, but right now it does not feel like it. It feels foreign, as does sleeping beside Ellie for the past couple of nights since I saw Death.

Although I tried desperately to forget everything he had told me, my subconscious is a dick. I can't help but dwell on his words in my downtime. When I'm not thinking of other things or doing anything, my mind wanders on that day, on that young boy's body, and then I grow paranoid. In my paranoia, I try to do things—anything to get my mind off of that corpse, off of the memory of Death's fervent, metallic gaze. I can't even bare to be outside, knowing that body was out there under the dirt, along with possibly whatever else there may be...

So when Ellie is gone for work, I leave the cabin and walk to the lake she took me to. That's the only place I can seem to feel relatively okay at. It hasn't been long, but now this place, this other forest, the cabin... Another place I should be feeling at home in, but all I feel is apprehension.

Even though this lake did calm me down some, not all of my worry was gone. Even as I splashed my face with cold freshwater, I couldn't snap away from my thoughts.

The signs and clues that Death warned me of, I've started to notice them.

Ellie is always wearing clothes that cover her whole body, even at night. She is always making sure most of her skin doesn't show. Whenever I try to flirt and play-fight with her, she is always shying away from me and holding down her sleeves, her shirt--whatever. And there's another concerning thing I've noticed.

She...talks to herself. Or at least I think she does. I don't think she knows I'm watching her or overhearing her when she talks to the air. Bitter words, an annoyed tone, tired sighs. I'd like to think that perhaps after all this time and after everything she's been through since I met her, maybe she's developed some quirks. But again, my subconscious is a dick and I can't help but feel like maybe someone is actually there, talking to her, someone that she can see and I can't. It freaks me out the more and more I think about it, but I can't help but think!

I groan aloud and fall back on the lake's gravel-shore. Why, why, why. Why did Death have to come and ruin my peace with all of that information? No, I'm not nervous about that. I'm nervous that some of it is true. Or all of it. God, every time I think things are going well in my life, shit happens. Every, time. Why, why, why.

I thought I was mad at Death at first, but now I'm just mad at myself. I'm mad at myself for becoming a paranoid wreck once again.

The silver-eyed entity hasn't returned since our last meeting, and I'm worried I screwed things between us. I've never seen him so downcast. He's always such a stiff, but those eyes...the way they looked at me...

I don't know where I am either. I don't know where this cabin is placed, what cities are near, what state this even is, if this is even the same country. Essentially, I have no way...out.

But I'm with Ellie. I don't have to run—shouldn't even feed the thought of running. She's my love, my Sunshine.

Yet I can't help but feel...that Death may have said some truth...and Ellie isn't telling me all of her truth.