Chapter 13

[I will be taking spring break off to catch up on more pre-written chapters and chill out!~ No updates March 15, 16, and 17. I hope you all fair well without my chapters, hehe.]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 13

Ao's POV

It's been five days since Ben had come to me to vent his problems, and it's been five days since he's talked with anyone at all. After he poured out his troubles to me, he ended up running off out of embarrassment. There are rare chances when I spot him in the halls, but he always disappears right away. Not even Ms. P can find him to remind him to check on Jeff. It seems he does that task on his own, though. Jeff is the only one who sees him regularly, but I don't think either of them are relieved about that.

Whenever I know it's time for Ben to go and bring Jeff his food and medication, I wonder what they talk about (if they say anything at all). From the times I've taken up the task, Jeff is cold even to me. I've tried to soothe him using my Purification magic, but he always gives me the most frightening death glare. Thinking about it now, I can't help but feel bad knowing Ben has to deal with that everyday.

The hallway was quiet as I walked. I just came up from downstairs after having a quick lunch in the kitchen. In my hands, I held more maps, but these weren't for Elizabeth. Most of them were marked in red ink, while others were in blue. The one on top of my pile had red scribble on it with the words 'no cooperation :(', something I jotted down a couple of days ago. I guess I shouldn't have expected that girl, Jane, to help me out considering what she said Elizabeth had done to her the last time they met. Plus, apparently she and Jeff have some issues together, and I already knew that probably wouldn't end well. Still, I was hoping she would at least provide some assistance...

As I was walking, a muffled skirmish caught my attention and I looked up from my maps. All of a sudden, a door opened and Ben stumbled out.

"Leave me alone," Jeff's voice growled out from the room, and it wasn't until now that I realized I was passing his room.

Ben got up from the floor, rubbing the back of his head tenderly. He and I flinched when the door slammed shut, and the blonde man scoffed out a few curse words. When he finally noticed my presence, he froze, then looked away.

Before I could call out to him, he teleported away in a flash of pixels. I was left in the hallway, alone with my maps. Peering at the door, I briefly contemplated walking in and talking to Jeff. But then I thought about his death glares, and suddenly felt horrible. If I dread even going in there once, how must Ben feel? The maps shifted in my grip as I clutched the sides.

"...you're the only one I'd feel comfortable with..."

How could I have been so ignorant, so senseless? What kind of friend am I?

I thought about how big and doleful his eyes were when he barged into the study to talk to me. I remembered the way he spoke of the boy, Reese, so enthusiastically, and the way he had smiled coyly just the day before.

I can't believe I've never realized Ben's inner struggles until now. He's always been such a laid-back guy, but I suppose the ones that smile the most have a lot weighing down their hearts. God, I'm a horrible friend.

I have to fix this.

...

Later on, I finally spotted Ben in a place where I know he can't avoid me. Peering through one of the windows by the front double-doors, I saw the elfin man standing on the porch. He cradled a lounging Grinny in his arms, petting the feline while he watched Smile run off into the woods.