From Desert Plains - @therealfancypants69 - GreenPunk + First Contact

From Desert Plains

A GreenPunk + First Contact story by therealfancypants69

1

"In the desert, only the strong survive," Manu said to her class. They were on a field trip outdoors, a quick jaunt to the plains just outside the Village. She'd taken off her shoes—the rust-coloured sand beneath her feet and between her toes was soothing—though the children had opted to keep theirs on. They did things differently here.

The Terscheckii Redsand Desert, known for its titular red sand, slabs of rock jutting from the ground, and colossal pillars of spineless purple cacti. The contrast was something else. Plus there was the perpetually cloudless blue sky, and the jet-black obsidian mountains that encircled much of the desert plains, aside from the canyon out to Old Winestead and beyond. The mix of scenery was like looking at an alien world. But it was her home now, and she loved it all the same.

Satisfied with her fill of the view, Manu continued: "In the desert, no matter how many different species of prey that might exist for one creature's own survival, that same creature is the prey of another predator out there. But they cannot all die, as you know. It is the circle of life. It is balance. The strong survive. The weak die. One must find a way—any way—to overcome."

"Are you really going to run for mayor, Miss Ebanedza?" blurted a voice from amongst the kids. It was Hundooni, small for his age but still a teenager, standing at the very front. He wobbled back and forth with his hands behind his back.

"No, Hundooni," she said, calmly. She didn't know how this rumour had started, but she suspected one of the other teachers or one of the parents had done it. Someone with a grudge.

Djerome, one of the bigger boys in the back: "My daddy says you shouldn't be allowed to run, on account o' you just arrivin' and all. He also dudn't like you 'cuz yer not from here."

"That's racist," said the two twins, Yeltza and Tzelya, one girl in red robes and the other in yellow.

"It's the same race—"

"Kids," Manu said, loud and firm. "I am not running for mayor. I'm your teacher. I know I've only been at the school for a year and a half, but I'm not planning on leaving this job anytime soon."

Nobody said anything. Case closed.

About fifteen feet further was a fifty-foot-tall purple monster of a cactus, with countless offshoots of various sizes reaching out in all directions—including along the ground: big plump logs half-buried in sparkling red sand, pups in various stages of development.

Manu led her class that way.

She said, "You kids are lucky here. Your most common cactus by far is this spineless terscheckii, with its tiny, fluffy areoles and fourteen bumpy ribs. See how the larger branches swell up, but stay at fourteen ribs? These plants aren't known to deviate from the norm, unlike the spiny variant and other post-War plants." She ripped a small electric-purple pup from one of the big logs. Yellow-green juice dripped out the torn end. "If you are ever lost in the desert, these can and will sustain you until you find your way."

To emphasize her point, she took a big bite from the cactus and tasted its tangy, sweet juice on her tongue. "These cacti contain adequate amounts of magnesium, vitamins C and D, as well as water, sugar and fibre." Her fingers were stained green already. Her face probably was, too.

She passed the pup around to her students. Some didn't take a bite, some did, but along a different part of the cactus.

Djerome yawned. "Why do we gotta learn this? We don't go out here. We're all inside, doin' anythin' we can to be anywhere but out here."