fugacious: fleeting or transient

I shivered as I padded up the stairs of Green Gables, wringing out my hair. Gilbert let me borrow his jacket, and I've been trying to ignore the urge to inhale the scent that wavered over the clothing, but to no avail. I sat on my bed and stared at the flannel jacket gripped in my hands, taking in a big whiff. His cologne mixed with something so inherently him filled my nostrils. I bit back a smile.

Marilla knocked on the door and I threw the jacket under my bed as she walked in. "I came to see if you were feeling better--" she stopped and stared at my sopping wet hair, "Good heavens, child! Have you been out in the rain?"

I stuttered over my words trying to get an answer out. In the midst of my internal struggles, I had forgotten that I was supposed to be acting sick.

"I..uh...took a shower," I forced out a believable smile and Marilla gave me a look.

"With all your clothes on?"

My eyes went wide as the gears in my mind turned to think of a lie, "I forgot to completely dry myself off?" It was more of a question rather than a believable lie.

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, "Just...get some rest. And try to dry off better next time. You'll make your cold worse." She left while muttering to herself and shaking her head.

Wait, that actually worked?!

I started towel drying my hair and shot Gilbert a text.

"Might have to sneak out, don't park too close. Marilla thinks I'm sick."

"Such a criminal."

"Shut up Blythe."

"I'll be there at 4. Will you need some help climbing down the side of your two-story house?" I could almost feel his mockery as he sent me the message.

"I can handle myself."

"Alright, Shirley ;)"

I rolled my eyes and got dressed. I got dressed in my favorite jean skirt and top yet I still didn't feel too confident about tonight. In fact, I was beyond nervous--not only was I hanging out with Gilbert, but Gilbert and his friends. I hoped that Charlie would invite Diana and the rest of them, but there was no telling.

I opened the door of my room and stood at the top of the stairs. Marilla couldn't see that I was dressed to go out, but I couldn't have her checking up on me again. I faked a cough and yelled out in my best sick voice, "I'm going to sleep for the night, Marilla. Love you! Also no need for dinner, I'm not hungry." I shuffled back to my room before she started asking questions.

Now, how am I gonna get out?

I looked at the magnificent Snow Queen which sat peacefully outside my window. I shrugged and started climbing down, hoping it wouldn't be too dangerous. Once I was at the bottom, I broke into a sprint to Gilbert's car which was further down the road like I told him to park.

When he saw me, he smirked, "Well someone's trying to impress. You look good, Shirley."

I rolled my eyes, "Let's just go, we don't want to be late."

We arrived at Charlie's. I wiped my hands on the skirt, nervously hoping I wasn't sweaty or anything. Gilbert must've noticed because he took my hand in his and gave me a reassuring squeeze.

"If you wanna leave at any time, just let me know. I don't want to force you to be here," He gave me a small smile.

I shook my head and steadied myself, "We're just hanging out with your friends. I should be perfectly fine." 

Why was I putting so much weight onto this?

"Well, Charlie invited your friends too since he wanted Diana there so badly," I let out a sigh of relief and smiled at Charlie's reasoning.