XIX

Chaeyoung was lying down on her bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. Her mind wandered back to being with Taehyung earlier that evening. She felt rather different today. Being with Taehyung earlier brought back her happy memories with him. Her consciousness was awakened by the reasons that made her fall in love with Taehyung in the first place.

She looked down to her chest before mumbling to herself, “Taehyung, I tried. I pushed you to the far back. I just didn’t realize you’d be creeping up on me this way. I thought I’d long forgotten. But I guess it was just in a deep slumber. It never really died down. Now I’m more than afraid to fall in love with you all over again.” She sighed heavily.

She adjusted herself to a more comfortable position to prepare herself to sleep. She turned off her bedside lamp and snuggled to the pillow beside her. Then she remembered something. She reached out to the desk beside her bed. Without turning the lamp on, she tried to feel her phone on the desk. She was moving her hand to and fro but she was still unable to locate her phone.

So she turned on the lamp and realized that her phone wasn’t on the desk at all. She got up to check her bag and found it inside. She remembered that she didn’t use her phone all throughout the time she was with Taehyung.

Another remarkable yet painful reminder of how she acted towards Taehyung earlier. It used to be their promise not to distract themselves with their phones when they were together. She glumly went back to bed with confusion written all over her face.

She decided to distract herself by playing with her phone for a few minutes. When she turned on her phone, she saw a few notifications. Her eyes were glued to that one missed call, from Jungkook. When she checked the time, it was about the same time she saw Taehyung earlier.

So it was Jungkook who was calling me earlier when Taehyung approached me? Hmm. I wonder why he called. Should I check it with him?

She checked the time, 10:49 PM.

It’s kind of late already. Never mind. I might disturb him. I’ll ask him tomorrow instead.

… … … … …

Ding!

Taehyung
Hi

Chaeyoung
Hi

Taehyung
Are you free tomorrow?

Chaeyoung
Why?

Taehyung
I want to hang out with you.

Chaeyoung
Is it a date?

Taehyung took a minute to think about Chaeyoung’s last message. He felt that Chaeyoung was testing him or something. He’s uncertain what to answer, saying either a yes or a no seemed like ambiguous enough. He sighed before typing his answer.

Taehyung
Is it?

Clever. Chaeyoung thought. Throwing the question back to me.

Chaeyoung
I’ll bring Lisa along. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind. Or, would you?

Taehyung
Of course, not. See you tomorrow then. I’ll pick you up at ten. Seen

“Pfft! It wouldn’t hurt if she’d be a bit sweet, perhaps? Or am I asking too much?” Taehyung grumbled to himself.

... ... ... ... ...