III

Mid November 2017

Jungkook stood in the middle of the lobby as he fidgeted while looking around. At the same time, he was also keeping an eye on the people getting off the elevator, waiting for someone in particular. He mused about how much he missed the person he called Miss Apparition.

Six months earlier . . .

Jungkook was a cost accountant at Theramiz Development Corporation. He took a leave of absence from work yesterday due to mild gastric pain. He was told by his team leader to go see a doctor but he refused to do so. He reasoned that the antacid that he was taking alleviated the pain already.

He grimaced at the amount of work that piled up his desk for a mere one-day absence. He endured the next two hours catching up on work before feeling ill again. Though he was not certain whether it was physical pain or the amount of work left undone that was making him feel unwell. It might even be both. So he hurriedly sneaked out of the office to take a few minutes break.

When Jungkook boarded the elevator, he noticed a woman passenger in it. The lights inside turned off at the same time the elevator doors closed. He turned on the phone in his hand, the light coming from it beamed directly at his face. When he faced the woman on the other side of the elevator, he looked utterly horrified.

In her ankle length white dress, the woman appeared like an apparition in Jungkook’s eyes. As she was leaning on the side wall, her long loose hair obscured most of her face. When she faced Jungkook abruptly, he screamed at the top of his voice. Then she followed suit.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH”

“Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh”

After their 5-second screaming battle, they both started to calm down. They were still facing each other with shocked looks glued on their faces when the lights turned back on.

Announced across the PA system, “Sir, Maam, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. There was an unexpected power outage. Thankfully our back-up power worked efficiently. We assure you that the rest of the ride will be safe. We appreciate your understanding.”

“Now we’re talking! You almost caused us a heart attack, you know?!” Jungkook complained with a hearty chuckle. The woman looked at him with a shy smile. And right then and there, Jungkook knew he was smitten.

... ... ... ... ...

After that elevator incident, Jungkook could not get the woman off his mind. So he prayed earnestly every day for a chance to see her again. He noted that it had been ten days. Jungkook demanded, “Lord God, don’t you think it’s about time you answer my request?”

“Hold the door open!! PLLLLEASSSSE,” Jungkook shouted as he ran towards the closing elevator. He hoped that whoever was already inside the elevator was kind enough to hear his plea. He quickly pushed his way in when the elevator doors reopened widely.

“Thank you!” Jungkook said aloud when he got inside. When someone got off on the fourth floor, the woman beside Jungkook was lightly pushed closer to him. He looked at her sideways and felt uneasy when he seemed to recognize her. Big beads of sweat start to roll down his forehead. He slowly turned slightly to confirm his suspicion. Then BAM! The woman turned out to be the same person from the elevator incident. Miss Apparition, Jungkook thought.

Jungkook imagined the rest of the ride as though he was holding a ticking time bomb. He grew more anxious by the second. After another person got off the seventh floor, he peeked again at Miss Apparition and noticed a string on her neck. Another floor up and Jungkook finally reached his floor. He just got off the elevator when he realized that the string was actually a lanyard.