Fraed was far more excited than he should have been for a time like this.

"Gods, it feels so good to have all my energy back at last. I've missed the feeling of casting big spells like this."

He was referring to the spell he had cast that provided us all with warm coats. I too was grateful for the magic that ensured that I at the very least wouldn't die of frostbite, but I had been attempting to be solemn and reflective when he'd exclaimed that.

"It's not just the calories, you know." He went on. "The mountain air of Fjall is so sparse that the magical amplifications provided by the gods after prayer almost triple, allowing—"

"No mysto, please!" I said. "Please gods let the last things I hear not be my amplification tables."

He did go silent after this. At least I knew the one advantage my inevitable death was going to provide me. I would be able to shut Fraed up whenever he went on his magical tangents.

I looked to Jarelis. She was staring forward as we trekked up the path toward the nearest oracle post. She hadn't said a word since last night. I wondered if I had been too harsh on her. I was much angrier before about my situation than I was now. Before I had at last found the beauty in what was about to happen.

Elke would be the last of Heillar's students.

I would die to save her life.

That seemed fitting. My first and final act as Queen of Musteri. Something notable to add in the history books beside my name. Something lasting that I could do for my people. Who would I have been if Jarelis and Fraed had never shown up in my life? How many more girls might there have been if not for Elke?

Of course, I was basing this last fact on the assumption that Aeska had been right when he'd said that she would be the last of them. But it wouldn't be an assumption anymore. I would make it true, because I could. If this damned necklace could give me anything, it would be that.

I took in a deep breath and looked to my right, where the mountain path continued a little ways before dropping off into a fjord. I could see where the boat we'd come off of was docked, and the mountain that sat to the other side of the body of water rose into the air before sitting complacently just above the horizon. The water was impossibly blue and glittered gold wherever the steady rising sun touched it. It was beautiful. I wondered if I could convince Jarelis to take me out here after our souls were unBound. If this could be the last thing I saw.

There was a lightness in my chest now when thinking about it. Like I could breath, finally. When was the last time breath was so easy to draw?

We walked for a couple minutes more before we saw a figure on the horizon. I squinted at the dot as it grew, blinked at it as it waved.

"Hello?" I called out to it.

After a few moments, they waved again and called back, "Hi!"

"Who is that?" Fraed asked.

Jarelis and I exchanged glances before we all ran up to meet the person waiting for us up ahead.

It was a man, youngish, but older than all of us, with stubble spread across his jaw. He was smiling and wearing a deep blue winter coat with a fur hood. In his hands he clutched a white piece of paper.

"Hi!" He repeated.

"Hi?" I asked.

He glanced at the paper in his hands. "Are y'all Fraed, Ifera, and Jarelis?"

Fraed nodded slowly.

"Great!" He exclaimed. He extended his hand. "My name is Murdock, and I am here to escort you to your appointment with Okkar Orlog."