chapter seven

(Y/N)'s POV

I woke up somewhat early to get ready for the day, making sure not to wake Mom up as I did. Getting up out of the bed, I tiptoed over to the drawer to gather my clothes. Today was my first actual day of work after the incident with the giant bat, and my injuries felt a lot better. Since Mabel was still fixing up my uniform, I took some running shorts and a sky blue t-shirt out of the drawer to change into.

***

I stepped up into the porch before opening the screen door to the Mystery Shack. To my surprise, Mabel jumped out of nowhere and greeted me with her typical energy. "Hello!" she yelled excitedly, making me jump a little and laugh to myself.

"Hey Mabel." I returned the greeting, before looking around. Dipper wasn't in the room and there was no sign of him. "Where's Dipper?" I asked out of pure curiosity.

"He's upstairs getting ready." Mabel spoke before Stan came in, straightening his tie.

"Change of plans, I'm closing the Mystery Shack for the day. We're going to the carnival!" he exclaimed, smiling at the both of us.

"The carnival?" I asked curiously, glancing over at Mabel momentarily.

"Yup! Mama Misfortune's Traveling Carnival is in town and I can't wait to steal some ideas for attractions. That means you all are gonna have to help me search for the most ridiculous things there." Stan explained.

While he was talking, Dipper came down the stairs in a navy blue t-shirt and some grey shorts. "Hey (Y/N)." he grinned, stepping up next to Mabel. I couldn't help but smile back at him and admire his clothing. He looked pretty cute today, but what was I thinking? You barely know him! I scolded myself in my head.

Soon afterwards, Soos and a tall, red headed girl in a green flannel, long-sleeved shirt covering a white tank top, jeans, and muddy boots walked into the room. I didn't recognize the girl, but I assumed she worked here too.

"Hey Wendy! Hey Soos!" Dipper greeted them. "We ready to go?"

Everyone nodded and we started walking to Stan's truck. Soos got into his truck and Wendy got in with him while Stan, Dipper, Mabel and I climbed into Stan's truck. Mabel broke out into a sprint alongside Dipper, but Mabel was faster and reached the front passenger door first. "Shotgun!" she yelled, making Dipper groan and reluctantly move to the back seat.

"You always get the front seat." he said, rolling his eyes as he crawled into the seat behind Stan. I got into the seat behind Mabel and instantly buckled up even though the truck hadn't even started up yet. I tightened the seatbelt and sat up straight, instinctively holding onto the handle on the door. Dipper buckled up and glanced over at me before looking out the window. I did the same as Stan started to back out of the driveway.

On that drive to the fair, I learned the hard way that I should probably never ride with Stan. He was a very fast and rough driver, so I held on for dear life the whole ride. At one point, we ran a red light and I braced my legs and arms, becoming stiff all throughout. Dipper glanced over at me with worry on his face. "You alright?" he asked me, scooting a little closer towards the middle seat, which was empty.

I just swallowed, nodded, and forced a smile. I forced my body to relax so that Dipper would know that I was okay.

We finally got to the fair and I was the first one out of the truck. I was actually tempted to walk back instead of riding with Stan again. I walked around in small circles on the bright green grass to clear my head and make me less nauseous. Soon, we all started to head into the main part of the fair, looking around at the rides, food stands, obviously fake oddities, and other vendors.