Part 13 (Colby's POV)

I saw Salina send an uneasy glance at Penelope before turning to Sam and I. "So what has Penelope told you?"
"About vampires?" I ask. Salina nods. "Uh, she told me that the myths about vampires are mostly not true."
"She didn't tell you about the clan?"
"Clan?" Sam asks.
"She told me that she was second in command to the biggest clan in LA, but not much else." I say.
"Wait, what clan?" Sam puts his hand out, grabbing the coffee table to pull himself up, then sits down on the other side of me. "There's vampire clans in LA?"
"There's vampire clans all over the world." Penelope says. "But you haven't come across any clan members in your area because your area is unclaimed."
"Oh, that reminds me." Salina says, turning to Penelope. "James is sending out vampires to claim it."
Penelope frowns. "What? When?"
"Tomorrow night. He sent me to tell you."
"Who's James?" Sam asks.
"James is leader to my clan." Penelope answers.
"The one you challenged?" I ask.
Penelope's dark eyes flash. "Yes."
"Challenge? You challenged your leader? Why?" Sam asks.
"Colby found out about me."
"More like you made it easy for him." Salina teases. Penelope growls, baring her fangs at Salina. Sam leans away.
"What happens when a vampire challenges their leader?" Sam asks.
"Fight to the death." Salina replies, grinning.
"And you won?"
"It didn't happen. I stopped it."
"If it did happen, James would've been dead and you know it." Penelope says quietly.
"How did you stop it?" Sam asks.
"I told James that Colby was-" Salina starts, but was cut off by Penelope.
"Salina." Penelope's voice was filled with warning.
"I'm what?" I ask. Penelope glares at Salina, who raises her eyebrows expectantly. Neither move, nor do they answer. It seemed like they were having a silent conversation through their eyes. "I'm what?" I ask louder.
"Salina thinks you're my One." Penelope finally answers.
"The proof is there, Penny." Salina says. "You haven't been able to feed off humans because of Colby."
"What?" Sam asks, looking at me questioningly. I shrug back.
"Usually all humans taste about the same." Salina says. "But when a particular vampire comes across a particular human who smells so mouth watering, more so than other humans, it becomes difficult for that vampire to feed off other humans."
"Why?"
"Because after smelling that human, that human is all they want. Usually that human is called the Scented One. Most vampires don't believe it because it's so incredibly rare to happen."
I glance over at Penelope, who was staring at the wall, glaring. She was statue still, but her eyes burned with anger. Why had she tried not to tell me? Did she think I wasn't able to handle knowing it?
I turn back to Salina. "What did you say about the One?"
Salina smiles. "The legend of the One is also very rare. From what I know about it, the One is a particular human that one vampire is attached to."
"Attached to?"
"Emotionally. You could think of it as soul mates." Salina says. "Usually, the One is also the Scented One."
"I'm confused." I shake my head. "How do you know I'm Penelope's One? Or Scented One? How do you know that I'm even involved in this at all?"
"And how are the two One's related?" Sam asks.
Salina sighs. "Penny came to me one night. She told me about you." She nods to me. "She said you smelled so good, she couldn't smell any other human around her. That told me that you're her Scented One. As for her One, I'm not a hundred percent sure, but there is proof." She says. "Such as her not being able to feed off humans since meeting you." She turns to Sam. "As for the two being linked, it's a sad legend."
"How does it go?"
"The legend states that when a vampire comes across their Scented One, all they want is to taste them. To feed off of them. However, when they do feed off them, they usually take too much blood and drain the human. Essentially killing them. But, because the Scented One is almost always the vampires One, that vampire will kill themselves too."
"But Penelope has had so many chances to feed off me." I point out.
"It's because she made the choice of getting to know you." Salina explains. "Because she got to know you, spend so much time with you, she's grown attached. If  she were to feed off you now, she would definitely kill herself if she drained you."