Chapter I: The Letter

I don't really remember my parents all too well. They had passed when I was very young. Now, living with my closest living relatives, my aunt and uncle, I have quite enjoyed the past eleven years of my life peacefully. Spending most of my time reading and wondering what's out there in the world, I acquire a curious letter in the post.

The envelope is slightly yellowed and thicker than what usual envelopes are made out of. It is sealed with a shimmering wax with a crest that depicts a lion, snake, eagle, and badger. Turning the envelope over, I discover the address even more strange. It's addressed specifically to me. But not like others, though. It even addresses the letter to my room. To make matters even more confusing, the letter has no return address, so I have no idea who had sent it either. The penmanship is neat, but seemingly written with a fountain pen... or quill and ink? Just curious. Very, very curious.

"Aunt Michele? Do you know who would have sent me this?" I ask my aunt who is a curvy woman with short wavy hair. One would never guess that we were related, for the only thing that we have in common is our unique eyes.

"Letter?"

"Yes. It has no return address," I hand the envelope over to my aunt as I enter the kitchen area.

"That's odd. I don't even recognize the handwriting from anywhere. Open it and see!"

Handing the letter back to me, I slowly remove the wax, not wanting to ruin it. I slide the contents out, holding the small packet of paper within.

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. Of Wizards)

Dear Miss Ross,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,
    Minerva McGonagall
        Deputy Headmistress"

My aunt and I are astonished and confused.
Flipping the page, I read aloud:
"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

UNIFORM
First year students will require:
Three sets of plain work robes (black)
One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
    By Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic
    By Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory
    By Adalbert Waffling
A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration
    By Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
    By Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions
    By Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    By Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
    By Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales

Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICK.

Yours Sincerely,
    Lucinda Thomsonicle-Pocus
    Chief Attendant of Witchcraft Provisions"

All of a sudden, a loud knock at the door startles our silencing amazement and confusion. Aunt Michele is the first to move to the door.

    Upon opening the door, a short, squat, woman stood at the doorstep. She has a patched hat to top her short, grey, wavy hair that's trying to escape. Her clothes are covered in dirt that made me marvel and scrunch my nose at the same time. The woman stood there smiling, having a seemingly cheerful appearance.

"Um...can we help you with anything?" Aunt Michele asks the lady who is pearing inside the doorway into the small house.

"Is this the residence of Jacqueline Ross?" the lady inquires, looking at a small sheet of paper that must have my name on it.

"Yes. What do you need of her?"

"She should have received a letter inviting her to Hogwarts. I'm acting as a messenger to help you and her guardians understand what the school will teach and why she has been invited," the woman explains. "May I come in?"

"Oh, yes of course, of course. Please, can we help you to anything? Jackie, put a kettle on," Aunt Michele says and sets aside to allow the woman to enter.

I jump down from the stool that I am perched on to start the stove and fill a kettle with water to boil.

"So, I'm assuming that you're Jacqueline?" the woman gestures to me.

"Yes, I am. It's nice to meet you," I reply while moving to sit with her and my aunt at the dining table that's situated near the back door.

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions but that's why I'm here; to explain everything. To begin with, I'm Professor Sprout, the Herbology professor at Hogwarts...."

Written 10.18.19