First Series: A Song of Ice and Fire

1

1. Description: 7 books, (5 books published), adapted in HBO as TV series way back in 2011 and ended with Eighth Season in 2019; Most pirated tv show of all time; themes span from politics, incest, dragons, zombies, morally gray characters, murder, rape, and war. Amazing execution of story (every book) despite of some cliche fantasy tropes and will give you hang overs with all the plot twists.

Book 1: A Game of Thrones
Book 2: A Clash of Kings
Book 3: A Storm of Swords
Book 4: A Feast for Crows
Book 5: A Dance with Dragons
Book 6: Winds of Winter
Book 7: A Dream of Spring

NB: just a small trivia, way back in 2016 when I first read the books, I actually got three consecutive creepy nightmares after reading the first 20 chapters that I have to stop reading it for at least 3 days (after I finished Red Queen).

2. Summary/plot: A song of Ice and Fire were three different plotlines that were connected (by two goals, I assumed). The story takes place at Westeros where King Robert Baratheon's hand Jon Arryn was killed and his vassal Eddard Stark of House Stark from the north was made as the new Hand of the King. This is a story of power struggle between heir-apparents. And the mystery of the white walkers and Others beyond the Wall.

3. Characters: There are a lot of characters which are all morally-gray. The great thing about ASOIAF is it was third person perspective limited to each character every chapter which makes it easy to see how they were developed over time. The bad thing is you'll have to adjust between the switch of point of views.

NB: The switch between Jon and Dany and vice versa is the most difficult. Not only the character's voice will change, the setting as well (from Wall to Pentos).

4. Setting: Great worldbuilding. From songs, books, emblems, religions, houses, myths, and history. You'll feel completely transported to a different world but middle ages inspired.

5. Magic System: Although many considered this as an anti-fantasy, I'll categorized the book with soft magic system (kinda similar to LoTR). There's a sense of mystery with it. But the magic was mostly focused on the mythical creatures. There's no methodical and scientific which some of the fantasy fans love.

6. Writing Style: Detailed descriptions. Check. Third limited pov. Check. Un-poetic prose. Check. Heavy. Check.

7. Pacing: This is the most important for me in a book. Slow but the execution and unfolding of scenes and revelation of twist are on right pace for me especially that the series spans more than two or three years.

8. Rating: Definitely recommended to ADVANCED+ readers.