Alec

Today I die.

Two days ago, they said they were going to execute me. I don't quite understand why they bothered to feed me if I was just going to be killed by them anyway, but that was not the only question I had about the living Infected. Perhaps they were planning to eat me and just wanted to put a little meat on me.

Yesterday, there had been gunshots. I counted ten of them, I think. Had they encountered other survivors, ones like me? Or were they butchering the dead Infected I often heard them complaining about outside my room?

It was early in the morning when Cassie came for me, accompanied by four men, two of which were carrying rifles which I assumed to be loaded. Without a word, the two unarmed men grabbed me by both arms and forced me to my feet. They then proceeded to drag me from the room I had been held prisoner in.

Once I was outside, I had my legs kicked out from under me so that I was on my knees, supported primarily by the two men holding me up. After that, we waited as more of the living Infected gathered.

I had failed, I admitted to myself. I had been given the time to think of an escape as if on purpose, and yet here I knelt, waiting patiently for my imminent death, as if the will to live had left me.

Was it because I knew the futility of struggling? Unlikely. I had struggled against the hordes of Infected singlehandedly for months and had never surrendered myself. So why now?

"You face death with dignity," Cassie commented. "Where is your fighting instinct? Will you not attempt to take any of us down with you?"

I lowered my head. She could have the last word. I was done.