Prologue + Greetings

Start from the beginning

When the body clambered at her feet, she ripped the blindfold off to find the night undisturbed. 

Not a streak of blood painted the dunes. Candelabras and wall sconces cast golden light onto the carved pillars of the colonnade. Far in the distance at the bottom of the hill, the lights of Oscus glimmered against a mirage of heat. She imagined the people, her people, eating their suppers, finishing their prayers to the goddesses, dancing to the music that echoed through the markets. And as she glanced at the rodula that lodged itself in the sand at her side, she wondered if it would ever be enough to protect them all.

"You lost focus. Why?" 

She sighed at the voice at her back, tearing her gaze from the city to face him.

Nezerrat's hands were clasped behind his back, the ochre and saffron paint on his face glowing a fierce golden-red against his brown skin. In contrast with his belted purple shift and his golden sandals, he bursted with color under the moon.

Sylfia wiped the sweat from her brow with her blindfold. "I wasn't sure if I hit what I was supposed to."

"You of all people know you cannot be a perfectionist and a master of the sands all at once." He took a step further into the light, his plum-colored eyes reflecting the firelight around them. "The earth does not wonder about such trivial things. It simply is. And the objects that threaten that existence are simply handled."

Sylfia bowed her head. "I understand."

"Also--," Nezerrat added, his footsteps quiet in the dunes as he approached, "You cannot hesitate when the time comes."

"If it comes," she blurted, her eyes finding his.

"Do you still doubt?"

Up close, he smelled of smoke and perfume. The scent was so familiar that despite the chill of his cryptic warning, she allowed herself to take a deep breath. 

"They say it is a rumor," she said.

"Yes, that is what they say. But what do you say? Why are you out here now, burdening yourself with extra toil?"

She resisted the urge to shrug, choosing instead to turn away and glance at the doors back into the palace. She had a lot to do still, and being soul-searched by her mentor was not one of them.

He said, "The mind can change, but I believe the true decision of your heart will be revealed when the time comes. Until then, rest. You have been prepared with every lesson you need to know."

"I just want to know who I'm looking for," she said, crossing her arms. "Is it the Crown Prince? One of the heroes from the other isles? Is it me?"

He remained neutral, keen on keeping as many secrets as the stars in the sky. "You know your goal. That is all I can offer assistance with."

"To find the Ignited One, and then what?"

"Set them alight."

 ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

(A/N) Beautiful Reader, 

Thank you so much for deciding to open this story. I hope that the content of these pages can keep you here. I also hope that there is something that grasps you, and holds you, and sparks something within you to want to cherish this adventure as much as I have for the past few years.

It is my first time writing anything original and entirely of my own making. For that reason, please do not hesitate to let me know your thoughts. Any commentary is incredibly appreciated and I look for every opportunity to get better. Please, I would love to hear from you.

Any events and characters in this story are entirely fictitious. Any similarities to real life or even other works are coincidental.

The art that I use is also not mine. 

Further dedication goes to Jill, Margrett, Sadie, and Allen. Also to the 15 year old girl that sat at her dining table with a single piece of paper to take the first step in planning her dreams. I pray that they come true and that one day, she can see her name on a shelf.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

This story is an epic fantasy that takes place in the world of Amyris.

As such, it will contain the following:

⊱ Assassins
⊱ Dragons
⊱ Arrogant mages
⊱ Plenty of battle

Any mature themes and topics regarding angst, mentions of sexual behavior, or abuse will be handled with diligence and carefully overseen so that such items serve only advance the plot rather than glorify heinous acts, crimes, or mentalities.

All of this is to assure you that I hold myself and my writing to a standard of consideration and awareness. 

Much love,

Milan

ASCENDANT
COMING SOON