Together

***

There were no feasts in Greenwood; the great halls empty as families stuck to their quarters during the quarantine. Ellie split her time between patrol and sitting beside Thranduil, only visiting her own rooms for a change of clothes and to insure to her family that she was fine. King Oropher was far too worried about his son and the safety of his kingdom to bother limiting Eluriel to her courtly duties, which didn't exist at the moment. Her skill was better spent patrolling the forests surrounding Greenwood, keeping away the smallest threat from the kingdom.

Off duty, Eluriel spent her time sitting beside Thranduil, often waiting for him to wake up. When he was up, she would tell him stories from her patrol, and he used his limited breath to plan their courtship.

It took several moons for Thranduil to recuperate, and when he did, king Oropher held a feast in celebration of his son's health. The royal crier announced King Oropher's entrance, and he in turn announced his son with a toast to his good health. Prince Thranduil walked down an aisle of curtsy, nodding his appreciation at them. At the top of the line he passed the Sindarin families, and locked passionate eyes with his beloved as she curtsied to him.

For most of the night, Thranduil was glued to his father's side while his eyes desperately searched for Eluriel. Once or twice he caught her gaze as she shadowed her mother. Every time he locked eyes with her, he was reminded of the promise he intended to keep.

By the end of the party, when security was more lax, Thranduil left his father and went hunting for Eluriel. He found her standing by an entrance to the guard room, talking with Fenrir. Smirking to himself, Thranduil went into the guard room by another entrance, and knocked incessantly behind Ellie. Ellie scanned the room for Thranduil, then when she was sure he was behind the door, she excused herself from Fenrir and snuck behind the door. The older captain walked away with a mischievous smile.

Eluriel had just made it behind the door when Thranduil grabbed her wrist and pulled her to him, spinning her in his arms before he trapped her against the wall.

"Can you not wait?" Ellie asked laughing.

"No! I believe we're already behind on a promise."

"We?" Ellie chastised, crossing her arms.

"Sorry. Me. I would have found you sooner if father had left my side for a second."

"Excuses, excuses."

Thranduil leaned his forehead against hers.

"Let me make up for it," he whispered in a deeper voice.

Ellie's hands went to his chest. "Here?"

Thranduil pulled back, looking around at the weapons and armors surrounding them.

"You're right. Not here."

He took her hand and pulled her to the floor length window and stepped out first. Ellie followed him, scaling the roots that were the walls of Greenwood, to wherever Thranduil wanted to take her. Every moment with him was an adventure. Thranduil stopped when they reached a terrace, right under a clearing through the canopy, showing a clear view of the starry night. Ellie was enchanted by the stars, and he with her.

"Beautiful." She exhaled.

"Yes." Thranduil agreed, looking at her.

Eluriel turned to find him watching her, and she extended a hand for him to take. Thranduil took her hand and walked closer to her, till she had no space but to put her hands on his chest. He rested his head against hers, looking into her eyes. His mouth leaned in, his eyes asking permission every second, and she let him.