• falling into the deep end •

Start from the beginning

sam smiles evilly, "i'm just saying..."

there was an awkward silence for a few moments before i broke it by sitting up from ruel. "let's play a game shall we?"

ruel and sam look at each other, then at me. "okay." they both say at the same time.

"alright, i've got one, it's called paranoia."

ruel lifts up an eyebrow whilst sam sits there with a smug look on his face.
sam and i used to play this game all the time.

"so basically how the game works is you whisper a question to the person next to you but it has to be about someone in the group." i explain, "so for example, if i had to ask sam a question it would be something like 'who do you think would go skinny dipping?' and then sam has to answer with a name but no one else knows the question except me and sam, so if sam says 'ruel', then we flip a coin and if it's heads you have to say the question aloud, but if it's heads, it's a secret."

ruel still looks a little confused.

i sigh, "it's better with more people but you'll get the hang of it." i smile at sam, "okay ill start!"

we form a little circle and i whisper a question in sams ear, "who at school would you consider dating?"

he blushes before saying aloud, "blake."

ruel squints his eyes in suspicion, before flipping the coin. it lands heads.

"oh sam, looks like you have to tell us the question." ruel teases.

sam is still blushing, "the question was who would you consider dating at school?"

ruel smiles "aha! blake! the dude from the cricket team?"

sam rolls his eyes and whispers his question to ruel.

ruels eyes immediately fall on me after he asks the question. "y/n." he says calmly.

sams eyes go wide, "flip it! flip the freaking coin!"

ruel flips the coin but it lands on heads.

i just shrug and look at sam. he has the saddest lol on his face. "can i tell her the question????"

"no!" ruel yells quickly.

we play a few more rounds of the game before we decide to go home for the night.

i check my phone: 9pm. not that late but it was getting cold so.

we stand up and stretch out our legs.
i turn to ruel. "hey, um i was wondering if you wanted to come over tomorrow just to hang out or something?"

something flashes in his emerald eyes so fast that i couldn't catch what it was.
he smiles, "of course! i haven't really been inside your house before."

my stomach filled up with butterflies.
i pull a strand of hair behind my ear and smile at ruel, "okay!"

but just as i ruel was about to say something, a loud shriek rings through my ears. i spin around to see two hands clutching the edge of the cliff.
my heart skips two beats as i realise it's sam.

i almost faint. i run up to sam. he's dangling off the edge of the cliff. if he lets go, he's going to fall straight down into the deep ocean where land isn't seen for miles.

ruel is already on the phone to 000 and he's explaining where we are.

"y/n!" sam yells, you could hear the fear in his voice. "i can't hold on! i'm slipping!"

"nonononono..." i close my eyes, this can't be happening, a few tears roll down my cheek, "come on sam, hold on, just hold on a little longer. please please."

i hold out my hand for him to take, "y/n," he says through tears, "if i try and hold your hand, i'll fall."

why? why is this happening?

"what happened?" it was ruel, he's off the phone with 000.

"i don't know, i just tripped over this stupid rock and now i'm here." he laughs.

why is he laughing?? he's going to die. why. no. i can't loose him.

"sam..." i close my eyes as the tears i have been saving for the past few weeks fall out. "don't go. it's okay. don't let go. please. just hold on."

"can't we grab his arms?" i ask ruel.

"no i don't want you to risk your life."

"i don't care."

i hear the faint sound of a siren. "there coming it's okay y/n" ruel says grabbing my hand.

i look into sams eyes. they where bubbling with tears.

"it's going to be okay, you're going to be okay, i got you. it's okay. you're okay."

his hands where turning white, he can't hold on forever. it's too late.

"y/n.." sam croaks, "i love you."

"no! no! sam! please!" i cry "they're almost here! just hold on! please!"

"i can't."

"yes you can! just a little longer!"

"y/n, this is our secret place, they can't find us." sam says closing his eyes.

"no! ruel! you told them! didn't you!? you told them where it is?!"

ruel nodded slowly, "yes but it wasn't the best description..."

"thanks for being the best friends ever." sam says. "you two better become a thing, ill be watching."

then he let go.