An Unlikely Match (a LiLo fanfic)- Chapter One

I watched him, sitting with his circle of friends and cracking jokes, making everybody laugh.  I noticed how beautiful his smile was.  But no one could ever notice me... especially him; I’m just that quiet boy that nobody talks to.  I hate that feeling I get when I realize that the boy I watch in the lunchroom every day will never even know who I am.  If I could just have one conversation with him then I could prove that I’m not that boring guy who will be all alone for the rest of his life.  But that would never happen...

“Um... excuse me, Liam?  Could you please pass me a napkin?”  My daydreaming was interrupted by a timid voice.  It was Lillian Smith from behind her huge book.  I only sat with her and all the quiet kids so no one would try to engage me in any conversations.  I passed her a napkin and smiled at her.  She didn’t notice; too deep in her book.  I shook my head and went back to staring at him, Louis Tomlinson.  He was telling another joke, I couldn’t hear it but I knew it was going to be hilarious.  Everyone started laughing and I let out a sad sigh.  Louis stopped laughing and looked over at my table, he soon noticed my staring.  Louis furrowed his brow in confusion and I quickly looked away.  My face turned red out of embarrassment.

“RING! RING!”  The school bell rang and I shot straight out of my chair, eager to get out of the lunchroom.  Unlucky for me, I had math next, my only class with Louis.  I sprinted up the stairs and grabbed my math books from my locker.  I walked to the math room and sat down in my usual seat in the back of the class, where no one notices me.

“Is anybody sitting here, uh, I’m sorry I don’t know your name.”  I was startled by a voice.  It was Louis.  Why was he talking to me?

“I’m Liam.”  I shyly told Louis.

“Oh.  Is anybody sitting here, Liam?”  Louis asked as he slightly smiled at me.  Why wasn’t he sitting with his friends?  Something was very wrong.

“I don’t think so.”  Louis slid into the seat next to me and put his stuff on the desk.  When he wasn’t looking at me, I looked at him to see if he was sick.  Something had to be wrong with him.

“Uhh... I just wanted to ask why you were staring at me in lunch.”  Louis awkwardly said to me.  I cringed.

“Oh.  That.  I’m sorry.  I wasn’t really paying attention to what I was doing.”  I lied to Louis.  I couldn’t tell him that I stared at him every day.

“Oh.  Okay.”  Louis sighed and looked at the front of the class.  He looked bored.

“You can go sit with your friends if you want.”  I sadly said.  The one time Louis talked to me...

“It’s okay.  All they want from me is to make them laugh; I can never talk about serious things with them.”  Wow.  There was so much more to Louis than I thought.

“I’m sorry.  The people I hang out with are more interested in their books than in talking to me, so I kinda know how you feel.”  I smiled at Louis, he smiled back at me.

“Yeah, I kinda noticed that all the kids at your table were buried in massive books.  Well, now I know who to go to if I ever need to talk about serious stuff.”  Louis said.  I tried to hide the goofy grin that was attempting to show itself.  I was about to say that it sounded great but the teacher came in and started a lecture about arithmetic.  I drowned out the teacher’s voice.  For the rest of the class, all I could think about was how amazing my day had turned.