The Invitation

Why me? A question usually associated with some of the worst conditions human beings find themselves in. A question associated with doubt, extreme curiosity, and bravery. Well, it's the first question that I asked myself when I was randomly chosen to meet one of the most inspirational musicians I know of, Alessia Cara.

I first discovered her in 2016 by stumbling upon a song called "Here", it was her first single and I was immediately impressed. She captured me in her voice but more importantly she captured me in the lyrics. I could hear the talent oozing out of my headphones and I knew she would become one of my favorite artist. She did that and more. As an artist myself, she became the top artist I wanted to collaborate with one day if possible. At this time I hadn't released any music but after hearing her I felt I had to. I wanted to meet her so bad, and that was fuel for my inspiration.

I made it known that I wanted to meet her through my music, maybe even exaggerating by saying it's the only reason why I made music 😂, but I genuinely felt it was the only way I could meet her. That was until the Summer of 2018. I decided to hop on Twitter and check out her account for any updated music for some reason.

Quick disclaimer: It's odd now looking back because I was heavily inspired by her but I didn't really follow her on anything. I barely kept tabs on social media, and I hadn't watched too many interviews or things of the like. I was a fan but at the same time I wasn't a "fan" if you get me. It's hard to explain.

Turns out there was some random drawing to listen to her new album on her Twitter. Now, I didn't notice it was a meet and greet. For some reason I thought there was going to be a private stream of her album or something. I signed up without putting too much thought into it I just wanted to hear the album. I didn't even think I'd win even that. So imagine the surprise when I received an email saying "Congratulations! You’ve won a pair of VIP passes to the Alessia Cara album listening party with 98.7 Amp Radio!"

I WAS BLISSSSFUL!

It was the first time in my life that I can recall where I couldn't stop smiling. The idea of meeting her was cool and it made me glad, but what really made me smile was the feeling that it was meant to happen, and the feeling that I was being gifted with an opportunity I wanted for a long time.

So I found myself smiling, asking myself "Why me?"