Jinks' desperate attempt

As luck would have it, the team selection for the Tests against England was scheduled for that very evening.

Jinks and Ash, the captain and vice captain, were glad to escape from the gloomy atmosphere of their hotel for a few hours.

But Ash had no idea about what Jinks had planned, and extremely unexpectedly, Jinks said during the meeting, "We're including Virat, of course."

"He has retired," said Prasad promptly.

"No, no, he has withdrawn that statement. He's going to make it official tomorrow--right, Ash?" asked Jinks, turning to Ash.

Ash recovered from his shock quickly and said, "Yes, he told us."

"Ok," said Prasad, convinced.

"And of course he'll be the captain again," said Jinks, as if there could be no question about it.

______________

Thus, the Test team was annouced with Virat Kohli's name at the very beginning with a (C).

Virat couldn't believe when he saw it. Wasn't his team taking it a bit too far?

He went in search of Jinks, sure that he was the mastermind behind it, and found him with Rohit in the latter's room.

"Did you tell them to include me, Jinks?" he asked Jinks dangerously.

"Don't get mad--" began Jinks, but Virat was past being mad.

"Firstly, Jinks, I want you to know clearly that neither you nor Rohit have any right to control my life like you're trying to," said Virat in a low, fierce voice. "And secondly, you can't make me play if I don't want to."

Virat spoke in a tone meant to be cruel and hurtful, but Jinks didn't get hurt or angry, because as he and Rohit knew best, Jinks had infinite patience when it came to them.

And that made Virat feel a murderous rage towards Jinks.

"I'm not trying to control your life, Virat. Neither is Rohit. We just want to ensure you don't take a decision you'll regret all your life," said Jinks in his usual kind-hearted voice, so Virat took another track swiftly.

"All the times these days you and Rohit are planning together to force things on me. If you two are so comfortable with each other, don't you think you're better off without me? Let me go away--then you can stay together in peace," said Virat, his voice shaking.

Rohit, stared at the floor, not wanting to say anything and get yelled at again.

Jinks, shocked that Virat might actually mean what he just said, caught his eyes.

You can't seriously think that Ro and I don't need you... said Jinks.

Something clicked inside Virat's head.

When you know a person as well as Virat knew Jinks, you know exactly what will hurt him most. And so Virat didn't respond to their telepathic connection; he stared at Jinks like he didn't understand.

Jinks saw Virat's blank, uncomprehending expression and blinked in confusion; and Virat knew that he had finally succeeded in hurting Jinks, maybe for the first time ever.