The omen

On Diwali morning, Virat received a call from BCCI president CK Khanna.

"We're holding a meeting today at noon. Your presence is needed, Mr Kohli," he said.

"Sure," said Virat, wondering what it might be about.

He finished his lunch early and left for the office without informing his teammates because he was in a hurry.

"You will remember that we had intimated you about an investigation into the unexpected loss to New Zealand in the World Cup semi final?" began Khanna.

Again.

Nothing--no one--would ever allow him to forget that day.

"Yes, sir," said Virat, outwardly unaffected, but inwardly his heart was breaking all over again.

"Our investigation has uncovered some surprising evidence that points to you being guilty, Mr Kohli," said MSK Prasad.

Virat was fully alert by now.

"What?"

"You preferred Bhuvneshwar Kumar over Mohammed Shami in the semi final in spite of Mohammed Shami's superior form, did you not?" alter Khanna.

"Yes," said Virat coolly.

"We hold you answerable for that."

"I am answerable for that. Bhuvi-- Bhuvneshwar Kumar was forced to sit out due to an unfortunate injury, but he was still my-- our first choice, and surely he justified that in the semi final?" said Virat, slipping between passionate and formal.

"Hmm," said Khanna in a grim way Virat didn't like.

"And you took a wrong call with the DRS in the very first over of play," said Prasad.

"Do you expect me to call it right with the DRS every time?" asked Virat dangerously.

"Ah, but there's more to it," said Khanna. "We also noticed that MSD adviced you against taking it, but you disregarded his opinion, which you normally follow diligently. Why was that?"

"Bhuvi-- Bhuvneshwar Kumar wanted the review, he felt it was out, and I don't think it's a huge crime to trust a bowler over the wicketkeeper," said Virat, hardly able to grasp what they were trying to imply.

"Hmmm," said Khanna again in the same nasty tone.

"Both your justifications have a connection with Bhuvneshwar Kumar," said Prasad.

Virat found himself shaking, and he consciously stopped himself from yelling as he said, "So what if they have?"

"You yourself scored only 1 in that match," said Prasad.

I know. Oh God, I know.

"Are you sure you had India's best interests at heart when you walked out to play on 9th and 10th July 2019?"

India's best interests? Seriously?

"I'm quite sure about that, sir," said Virat, his head feeling like it was bursting.

"Well, we'll soon find out about that. Have a good day, Mr Kohli," said Khanna, dismissing him.

What the hell was that about? Virat wondered as he left the room and returned to the hotel.

_____________

"Where were you, Virat? We were looking for you everywhere," said Jinks, spotting him on the stairs suddenly.

"I'd just gone out for a walk," said Virat, not knowing himself why he was lying.

"Ok, but come with me quick. We're starting a new round of FIFA," said Jinks, taking Virat's arm.

Virat didn't feel like playing FIFA. He didn't feel like doing anything, much. But he still allowed Jinks to take him to the common room.

"Virat bhaiya, join our team," said Jassi as soon as he entered, because Virat was one of the best players even in FIFA.

"Bhuvi and Virat can't be on the same team!" cried Hardik, who was on the opposing team.

"Ok, I'm coming over to your team, Harry," conceded Bhuvi, because he knew himself that he and Virat were the best players.

Rohit and Jinks, however, were both staring at Virat, who looked unusually serious.

As they started the game, Jinks caught Virat's eyes.

What's wrong with you, Virat? he asked anxiously.

I don't know, Jinks, said Virat listlessly.

Where had you gone, actually? asked Jinks.

I-- began Virat.

"Virat bhaiya, PASS, PASS!" yelled Yuzi, properly caught up in the game.

Virat turned his attention back to the game, leaving Jinks worried and confused.

After the game, which Bhuvi's team won because Virat was so absent minded, ended, Rohit caught Virat near the door.

"You ok?"

"Don't worry, Rohit. I'm perfectly ok," said Virat.

Rohit didn't buy it.

Virat didn't either.

He kept feeling that something was about to go terribly wrong.