Rohit's goons

Rohit's face fell as Virat announced his retirement, but Jinks looked completely devastated--because he had begun to realise that Virat was up to something insane.

The media was buzzing excitedly and one of the reporters near Rohit and Jinks asked, "Why did you not accept the charges earlier?"

"Because he's innocent, you idiot," Rohit told him angrily, and Rohit's voice was magnified by his mic, so Virat heard him.

Just as the excitement of the crowd was reaching a crescendo, Ash and Rahul burst in, leading Jassi, Kuldeep, Yuzi and Hardik.

Rohit and Jinks, wild with delight, cheered loudly as Ash walked to the stage and told the host, "Play this video."

"Ash--" began Virat, but Ash ignored him.

The host of the conference looked bewildered but Ash sounded so commanding that he obeyed him without a word.

Mahi bhai had edited the video and Jaddu wasn't on the frame; Bhuvi's acting was impeccable, and Robin's confession was so genuine that it couldn't be doubted.

Virat stared at the screen and then at his best friends, both of them looking content--though Jinks looked the slightest bit apprehensive--at the kids, shaking with excitement, and Ash, towering over the reporters as a figure of power, and Bhuvi and Shikhar, and wasn't that Jaddu's laughter in the background?--fighting to prove him innocent, and he felt his resolve breaking.

But he had honestly had enough, and cricket didn't feel worth to him anymore.

When the video was finished, and the host annouced, "Well, that changes everything."

One of the reporters shouted, "The BCCI has released an official statement clearing Mr Kohli of all charges!"

Kuldeep, Jassi, Rahul, Yuzi and Hardik dashed to the stage to hug Virat and Rohit realized that he and Jinks had never stopped clutching each other's hands, and he pulled Jinks to the podium too.

Though Virat knew he had to shake himself free of all of them, he couldn't not hug Kuldeep and Jassi who were clinging to him.

So, no one but Jinks saw it coming when Virat, unable to meet any of his family's eyes, said distinctly, "I thank the BCCI, but my decision of retirement stands even if the charges have been cleared."

A hush fell over the entire crowd--and maybe the entire country.

Avoiding the horrified gazes of his friends around him, Virat walked off the stage as the crowd parted to let him pass and his team hastened to follow him.

_____________

Rohit grabbed Virat's arm and swung him around the moment they reached a relatively quiet place.

"You know we're all tired of your unfunny jokes?" he demanded.

Virat tried to snatch his arm away but Rohit wouldn't let go.

"I've thought it all out properly," said Virat quietly.

"You're mad," said Rohit.

"All right then, I'm mad!" said Virat, his voice rising. "I have my flight back to Delhi in two hours, so I'm leaving."

"You're not going anywhere!" said Rohit.

Virat finally managed to wrench his arm free from Rohit's grasp.

"Goodbye," he told the others, pointedly ignoring Rohit as he turned and started to walk off.