The complete family

When they came back from the restaurant, Mahi bhai said, "Now I need to do some research and chalk out a plan."

Rohit said, "Good luck!" and they edged out of the room and made a beeline for the terrace; obviously neither of them could bear to part with the other just then, and Mahi bhai didn't tell them to stop and help him.

He could do his work on his own and let his kiddos be with each other.

As they reached the terrace, a lone firework went off, and reminded them of that year's Diwali.

"After the 2019 WC it seemed like nothing worse could happen--and now look," said Rohit drily.

"It's almost funny," said Virat, his voice actually trembling with supressed laughter.

"It's not, Virat!" said Rohit.

Rohit sounded so scandalized that Virat started laughing--now that he and Rohit were friends again, and Mahi bhai was here and would surely take care of everything, Virat felt perfectly at peace with the world, and inclined to look at the funny side of everything.

When he told this to Rohit, he said severely, "There is no funny side to this."

"'Course there is, Ro," said Virat cheerfully. "By the way how did Mahi bhai convince you to accept captaincy?"

*******

Yesterday

The team saw Rohit emerging from Virat's room with a defeated and miserable look that they could only attribute to another Rohit-Virat fight.

Jinks stood up and was about to go to Rohit when the hotel door opened--and looking around, they saw Mahi bhai standing there.

As the kids threw themselves on Mahi bhai and the seniors also rushed at him in delight, Mahi bhai looked at Rohit and knew at once that something was wrong.

"I'm glad you're back, Mahi bhai," said Rohit, smiling a little, but he couldn't fool his elder brother.

"We'll have a meeting later tonight," Mahi told the kids, who seemed reluctant to let him go. "Rohit, come with me."

He took Rohit away from the others and asked, "What happened?"

"I refused to take up captaincy in Virat's place," said Rohit with a touch of defiance.

"Why did you do that?" asked Mahi, displeased.

"Because I'm not going to play along with them, Mahi bhai!"

"Ro...you'll not be playing along with them if you accept captaincy. You'll still be on Virat's side," said Mahi bhai gently.

Rohit's face fell at Virat's name, and Mahi bhai asked shrewdly, "That's what he thinks too, doesn't he?"

"Virat told me I'm weak because I refused captaincy. He acted like I don't care about Indian cricket!" cried Rohit, scowling.

"He didn't mean it, you know that, Ro."

"I'm not sure," said Rohit, not meeting Mahi bhai's eyes. "He's always blasting me for something."

Rohit's voice had gone too quiet and Mahi knew that Virat must have told him everything in a pretty harsh manner.

"Look at me, Ro," said Mahi bhai, and Rohit looked up. "I know Virat takes you for granted--but we only take those people for granted whom we know we'll never lose."