03 // illusion

ENOCH'S EYES WERE FILLED WITH HORROR, SEEING CLARA PRESCOTT LAYING ONTO HER BED WITH A KNIFE INSIDE HER CHEST. Blood was everywhere, dripping from her now blood-stained bed. She seemed to be dead-- Is she? He blinked confusedly, then Clara spoke, "What the hell are you doing here, Enoch?"

Enoch's eyes widened. There was no blood, nor a knife onto her chest. She was fine. "But— How—?" He asked in confusion, "What the fuck was that?!"

"Why are you even here?" Clara glared at him, and he could not help but to roll his eyes.

"Miss Peregrine convinced me," Said Enoch, "Now, what the fuck was that?"

"I was trying to control my peculiarity." Clara told him, "Practicing."

"Practice?" Enoch scoffed, "You call that practice?! I saw you, and you look dead!" 

"Wouldn't that be fun for you?" Clara spat, "So you can bring me back? Make me one of your puppets, watch me decompose—" 

"SHUT UP!" Roared Enoch, quite intimidated, "Let's just fucking go. Come on!" 

✧ ✧ ✧

  ENOCH WAS CONFUSING CLARA. She couldn't read him. He was unpredictable and confusing. One moment, he didn't care, and then another, he looked like his heart sunk to his stomach, or as if he heard the most devastating news in the century. Walking downstairs, behind Enoch, they stayed silent.

"Few steps to your left is the kitchen... To your right is the living room..." Said Enoch while pointing its direction, "I know you already know this place, but I figured I had to say," He seemed much calmer now, than a few minutes ago. Clara nodded and kept silent. 

Enoch showed her the basement (where she knew he was staying) and the garden. Now, they were headed to the small village near Miss Peregrine's home. "It's not really advised that you go here, Prescott. They get easily suspicious. They don't see new people around often. Don't talk to strangers."

"Then, why are we going here?" Asked Clara, glancing at him.

"It's supposed to be a tour isn't it?" Retorted Enoch.

"Well, yes, but if it's dangerous, we don't have to go!"

Enoch groaned, obviously annoyed. "Okay, let's go back. You obviously won't be even needing anymore of this. I'm done." He scoffed and walked away, leaving her alone.

✧ ✧ ✧

  "COME ON, ENOCH, I WAS ONLY ASKING!" He heard Clara yell to him. He didn't look back, and only kept walking. Suddenly, Clara appeared in front of him, "Let's go back please!"

"Can you get out of my head, Prescott?" Enoch rolled his eyes. He knew Clara can't keep up with his pace, "Stop manipulating me!" 

The illusion of Clara in front of him dissolved, then he was only standing on top of the hill alone. Hearing breathless pants, Clara was already beside him, her hand placed on his shoulder. Enoch jumped, making her laugh.

"I was distracting you while I ran toward you. You're pretty hard to keep up with, in terms of walking," Clara panted. Enoch slapped her hand away from him, "Sorry!" 

"What for?" Enoch asked halfheartedly, "Don't bother, I don't really fucking care."

"It's an apology, Enoch. Just accept it," Clara threw her hands up halfway through the air.

"You said sorry, because you want to have another chance to do the same shit. Am I right?"

"You're not wrong." Clara shrugged. The two of them continued walking, going back to Miss Peregrine's home. There was a few moments of silence before she asked, "How long have you been around here? You told me you've been around here longest."

"I don't remember dates, really." Enoch simply told her. He was not lying, he really doesn't remember. Not even the day he was born. Not that, not ever. 

"Years maybe?" In his peripheral vision, Enoch saw Clara look up to him (literally, she was a feet smaller than him.)

"Just drop it, Prescott." That was what stopped her from initiating conversations. They walked back the rest of the path silently, not another word from Clara nor Enoch.