22| théoden's return

Comenzar desde el principio

Legolas surveyed the area with furrowed brows as he rode beside me.

"It may as well be a graveyard," he looked back at the inhabitants of this town. "It is almost as if life itself has deserted this town."

I couldn't help but nod in agreement.

Arriving at the foot of the hall's stairs, we dismounted. Aragorn and Legolas handed their reigns to a guard. Another guard approached Aldion, only to find there were no reigns. A low growl rumbled from his throat, sending the man stumbling back in fear.

"Leave him be." I instructed, petting the huge Wolfhound's head. "It would be in your best interests to do so."

He nodded quickly, before turning away, muttering something under his breath.

Turning back to Aldion, I quietly instructed him to wait for me, before turning and following the rest of them.

We began to walk up the stairs, my boots ringing against the stone of the steps. I looked back. From this height, I could see the entire town. It was a grim sight indeed.

Reaching the top of the stairs, a few guards approached us, wearing cold armour like dragon scales protecting their chests. The one without a helmet spoke.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden king so armed, Gandalf Grayhame," he declared with a frown, "by order of... Gríma Wormtongue."

I immediately disliked the sound of this person without even meeting him. How unfortunate must he be to have been named like that.

I rolled my eyes, glancing at Gandalf, who just nodded. I sighed in exasperation. Great. Just as I was learning about my weapons, I now had to part with them.

The company began the long disarming process.

I undid the belt that hugged my waist, placing it in the hands of a guard with a cold stare. From my boots, I retrieved my dagger. Sliding the bow and quiver off my shoulder, I placed them in the care of the guard.

If ever I was in battle unarmed, I would hope to be near Legolas, for he carried as many weapons as an entire armoury. His bow and quiver, twin blades and the vast array of knives and daggers hidden all over his body all ended up in the hands of one unlucky guard, who simply widened his eyes.

As Gandalf was about to enter, the guard held him back.

"Your staff."

Gandalf donned an innocent look.

"Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?"

The red haired guard thought for a moment, before giving him a knowing look, stepping aside and allowing him to pass. Legolas and Aragorn followed not so far behind

Pushing back my cloak, I loosened the straps of my thigh sheaths, handing my golden knives to the guard before me. Before he could pull away, I tugged him back, with a cold steely glint in my eyes.

"If anything happens to these..." I leant in and whispered, "...I'll make sure one of them ends up right here." I patted his armoured chest, before shooting him a sweet smile, brushing past the terrified man and catching up to the rest of the company.

"What did you say to the guard?" Legolas asked in a low voice as we walked.

"Just what would happen to him if I did not get my weapons back." I nonchalantly cracked my knuckles. Legolas smiled.

"I see they failed to take everything," he glanced at my hairpin that sat inconspicuously in my black waves.

I just scoffed.