twenty

chapter twenty: the herd that brought the farm down4498 words

4498 words

"Hey T," Lin called to the man at the window. He turned her way long enough to tell her she had his attention then shifted back to being lookout. "The padlock was secured when you got there, right?" He nodded, keeping his eyes on the outside. "Daryl and I boarded up those rafters. I climbed through them yesterday so I knew how to cover them up. He couldn't have gotten out on his own." Lin kept her voice low, eyes on the horizon. If she spoke any louder, it would cause panic. "Something's not right."

"Only a handful of people knew that code, only the people Rick trusted." It stung a little that she wasn't on that list but that was beyond that point.

"You weren't there. Daryl was with me. Hershel was inside. Rick was with Carl." Lin counted off the possibilities until they were left with one, just one. Lin inhaled sharp, turning to look behind her to make sure they didn't have any listeners. "If Rick comes back with him, I'm putting a bullet in his head. Mark my words T."

"If Rick doesn't do it first," He tipped his gun a little bit in the air, casting a look her way. She met it and nodded, her hand set over the bowstring across her chest. If Rick didn't do it first. Shane was a liability now. He was dangerous, reckless, blind to anything but the end goal which was Lori and Carl. It had always been. Even when it was just the four of them on the road, it had always been about Lori and Carl. She knew he was a friend, basically an uncle to Carl, but he was a danger and he was willing to lie and hurt to get what he wanted. Lin had a feeling he was willing to get rid of Rick as well. He'd faked the attack, counted on Rick to be the righteous leader, and then led him into the forest where anything could happen. She jerked away from the window to the door, hurrying to turn the lock. T-Dog's hand came down on her wrist. "What are you doing?" He hissed.

"Rick's in danger. Shane took him out there to kill him. I can't let that happen."

T-Dog looked past her and out into the dark. "I can't let you go out there. It's dangerous. We can't lose you too."

Lin knew he was right. Lori rounded the corner then and saw her sister's hand on the door. Lin didn't have the energy to try to cover what she was going to do. "If they aren't back in 30 I'm gone," she swore. T-Dog's hand moved away and he followed where Lori had come from. Lin took a moment to follow and as she leaned against the doorway, the door opened. She whipped around, most of her relaxing at seeing Daryl and Glenn okay.

"Rick and Shane ain't back?" Daryl asked as he walked into the house.

"No," Lori answered.

"We heard a shot."

"Maybe they found Randall," Lori tried to rationalize. Lin's eyes darted to T-Dog.

"We found him," Daryl told them. Lin sighed at the confirmation of her suspicion.