nine

chapter nine: cherokee rose5855 words

5855 words

At the first impact of stone against wheelbarrow, Lin was awake. Her head jerked back, sending a throb through the muscles of her neck. She'd fallen and stayed asleep with it bent forward and now she was paying the price. A pillow slipped down into her lap, having been propped between her forehead and her knees. Someone must have brought it out for her.

She let her legs drop onto the ground, waiting until the faint numbness in her thighs disappeared. It was a really bad idea sleeping like she did but she really didn't care. She could deal with a stiff neck and sore thighs if it meant she was rested.

The screen door opened and Lin looked over, shutting one of her eyes against the rising sun.

"I brought that pillow out to you last night. You were out cold and Rick was in no shape to lift you upstairs." The woman that rode in on the horse walked through the door, reaching her hand out to take the pillow back. Lin handed it back, rubbing at the nape of her neck. "I'm Maggie."

"Lindsey but everyone likes to call me Lin."

"Lin," Maggie repeated with a smile. "We're gathering some rocks from the grove over there for Otis's funeral. There's breakfast inside if you're hungry."

"Starving," Lin stated, turning her head to look out on the land. It was beautiful, tucked away from the road but still accessible. And she imagined they rarely got walkers because of the fences they'd set up. "This place is beautiful."

Maggie nodded, coming to stand next to Lin. "My father's owned the farm since before I was born. It's been in the family for as long as he can remember."

"Well it's beautiful and probably the best thing to have in times like this." To this Maggie just nodded and didn't say anything more. She opened the screen door and took the pillow back inside. Lin stood from the rocking chair, stretching her arms up over her head. She walked inside to eat breakfast, sitting down at the table and eating literally whatever was put in front of her because good food was a luxury nowadays and she'd been hungry for a while.

It was a quiet breakfast and Lin was mostly alone, except for a visit from Hershel. He let her know that Carl was waking soon and she could come see him if she liked. Lin reached for his hand as he passed and she held it between hers. "Thank you," she told him earnestly. Hershel just smiled, dipped his head in a nod and returned to Carl's side. Lin set her plate in the sink to wash, turning back to stand on the porch. The others were due here any minute now, if they still followed the plan Carol had told her about.

Lin shook her head, leaning up against the porch banister. Daryl wouldn't let them stray from the plan. He was smart like that. He kept people alive. She waited maybe three minutes and then the purr of a motorcycle engine drifted her way over the trees. And she smiled. They were here.