part six. (updated)

Richie and I's parents drag us along to the independence parade for some 'family time'. I'd prefer to be with my friends solving a supernatural case but neither I or Richie, are aloud to leave. Since neither of us are on speaking terms, Richie and I stroll around behind our parents aimlessly whilst they gawk at the parade.

"Y/N, look at this!" My mother gushes over another stall with little trinkets. I glance over and smile convincingly, "Looks nice, mum."

I hate Labour day. For the majority of the year, our parents are either working or minding their own business yet today, they act as if we're one happy family. Sighing, I run my hand over small pieces of handcrafted and stop on a small pair of amber earrings. Richie comes up beside me, looking over my shoulder whilst numbing to himself about how boring the day is.

"How much are these?" I ask, holding up the small earrings. The woman looks over, "$8." For one set of earrings?

I smile and rest them back on the table before following my parents to another boring stall. This particular stall has a selection of yo-yos and bubbles, Richie would probably be interested in them. I turn around to look for him, noticing how he wasn't beside me and see him jogging towards us.

"Kids," my father addresses Richie and I. "You may go and find your friends but stick together."

"Okay," we grin before going to find our friends. We walk side by side, still refusing to talk to each other and pretending to be interested in the ongoing parade. Finally finding our friends, we go down a small alley where everyone's looking at the MISSING posters on the wall. Richie immediately goes to Eddie's side whilst I join Beverly and secretly glare at my brother.

"Still not talking?" she whispers, still listening in on Ben and Bill's conversation.

"Nope," I reply popping the 'p'.

"You think it's ever going to end?" Stan asks, referring to the pile of missing children's posters hanging on the wall.

"I actually think it will end, for a little while at least," Ben says looking to all of us.

"What do you mean?" Beverly asks.

"So I was going over all my Derry research, over the main events" Ben explains, listing a few events that I recognise from the bold headlines covering his walls, "I realised this stuff seems to happen every-"

"Twenty seven years," Bill cuts in.

"Maybe it's like what do you call it? Cicadas!" Stan claims, "the bugs that come out every seventeen years?"

"My grandfather thinks this town is cursed, he says that all the bad things that happen in this town are because of one thing, an evil thing that feeds off the people of Derry." Mike exclaims causing a bit of fear to course through me.

"Maybe we should go somewhere more private and try and figure this out?" Eddie suggests. We walk through the park in search of a secluded bench. I can't help but sneak a look at Eddie, who happens to be doing the same, he smiles softly at me which I return before sitting down on the bench.

"It can't be one thing, we all saw something different," Stan decides.

"Maybe or maybe it knows what scares us most and that's what we see," Mike suggests.

Eddie takes a puff from his inhaler before revisiting the memory, "I-I saw a leper, he was like a walking infection!"

"But you didn't because it isn't real," Stan exclaims as though we were going crazy, "None of this is, not Eddies leper, not Bill seeing Georgie, o-or the woman I keep seeing..."