5|Desperado

Jamal had ignored me up all up until now

Jamal had ignored me up all up until now. I'd gotten a reply almost immediately once I mentioned Owen. I was pissed that he was in on this and ultimately was the one who put me in this predicament. No matter what way you sliced it I didn't know Owen from a can of paint and my life could have been in jeopardy. Even though I was irked about the entire situation I wasn't a fool. I needed all the financial help I could get with everything going on. Besides it wouldn't kill me to talk to Owen and inquire about this 5K he was offering. We decided on Friday night after I was done with school.

Once all the finer details were settled I decided to ask Jamal the question that was on my mind.

Why?

I sent it and never got a response.

He may not have been answering now, but best believe I would get all my answers soon enough and whether Jamal liked it or not he would definitely be answering my questions.

-

It seemed as if the week dragged on, but it was finally Friday which meant my meeting with Owen was happening tonight and I was a nervous wreck, but I still found myself in a bathroom stall with my oversized tote changing out of my business casual clothing and something a little more attention grabbing. Leaving the hospital, I was dressed to impress in a pink body con dress that showed off my figure. My face beat and my hair in loose waves from the bun I'd placed it in earlier. As I walked through the hallways my heels clicked garnering a few stares from colleagues, but thankfully no one inquired. Getting into my Uber, I put my headphones into my ear letting the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill take over my mind. The ten minute drive did nothing to ease my nerves as I slipped out of the Uber and into the restaurant.

Hillstone was the choice for our dinner date, if you could even call it that. Approaching the hostess, I let her know of my reservation with Owen Harris and she informed me no one else in the party had arrived. My perfectly arched eyebrows rose in confusion at her word choice. It was only two of us. Why would she say no one else in the party? Nonetheless, I decided to wait it out at the bar. Looking over the drink menu I ordered a glass of Rosé.

"Trinity." Turning my head in the direction of the voice, I saw Jamal walking towards me in all white attire. He attempted to hug me but I quickly thwarted his attempt by sticking my free hand out to maintain the distance between us.

"Don't think for a second we're cool."

He looked perplexed as if I'd just spoken a foreign language, but did he really expect us to be best friends after the shit he pulled.

"You're the reason I'm even sitting here."

"Me?"

"You thought that voicemail I left on your phone was a joke? Can't wait to see you tonight," I mocked. "Then you had me walk into that blindsided bullshit with Owen. I still haven't even gotten an apology."