01|A Bad Situation

Even though I was almost two months into my third year of medical school, at times my body still found it difficult to adjust to the hours I was putting in like now

Even though I was almost two months into my third year of medical school, at times my body still found it difficult to adjust to the hours I was putting in like now. My eyes felt heavy and the steady beating of the rain against the hospital window wasn't proving helpful to my current situation. Attempting to keep up my good grades, I was doing some reading on the conditions I had come across with patients during rounds this morning, but all I really wanted to do was sleep. A yawn escaped my Ruby Woo painted lips before my phone nearly startled me as it vibrated against my leg.

I was thankful I was in the M3-M4 lounge and not on the floor with my attending physician. Fishing the iPhone out my pocket my face scrunched up in confusion as I registered the caller. It was Shayla: my cousin. Our relationship hadn't been the same over the last few years. We went from speaking just about every day to not really speaking at all so I couldn't fathom why she'd be calling me, but nonetheless I exited the lounge not wanting to disturb anyone else as I answered my phone.

"Hello?"

"You need to get down to Methodist hospital right now. I'm here with your mother."

"Wait what? Is she okay? What happened?" I rattled off.

"She's in surgery. Trinity please just get down here."

The familiar beep let me know the call ended and I couldn't gather my things fast enough as I went to find my attending physician and let them know of my sudden family emergency. I ran as fast my feet would carry me and caught the first cab I could get into. Any other day I would have gotten on the subway to get me to Brooklyn, but the hour long ride wasn't going to cut it today: not while my mother was sitting in the hospital and I had no idea what was going on.

As the cab drove through the busy streets of New York City my mind kept running over different scenarios. I hadn't gotten a chance to see her this morning because when I left she was still in bed, but up to last night she'd been just fine so what could have gone wrong while I was at school. What could be wrong that she'd be in surgery? My mind was spinning and it didn't help that I didn't have any information besides the fact I needed to haul ass. The salty liquid began running down my face. Wiping my face I pulled my phone from my pocket.

I wanted to call Shayla back, but if she wasn't willing to give me answers before I knew she wouldn't give them to me now and honestly I wasn't sure if I could handle the information I was seeking in my fragile state. So instead of dialing her number, I hit my second favorite contact and placed the phone to my ear. Upon hearing my best friends voice I didn't even give him our usual stupid greeting.

"Caleb, mama is in the hospital," my voice shaky.

"What? Is she okay?"

"I don't know." As the words fled my lips I felt a sense of hopelessness leave with them causing a sob to push its way through.

"Calm down baby girl. Don't get yourself worked up until you know anything for sure. Where are you now?"

"I'm in a cab on my way to Methodist."