04|No Peace Of Mind

My weekend had been an absolute mess and for that, I was glad it was practically over

My weekend had been an absolute mess and for that, I was glad it was practically over. I called Jamal shortly after I'd gotten home Friday night and to no surprise, he didn't answer but that still didn't dissuade me from leaving the nastiest voicemail possible. After the fiasco with Owen, I had returned home and threw myself into my schoolwork. I had gotten notes from another student and I was utilizing them to the best of my abilities, but it wasn't the way I would take them so I was finding it a little difficult. It was then that it hit me I had failed my shelf exam and had to prepare myself for that again. The thought alone frustrated me. By no means was medical school a walk in the park, but I was a smart girl. I shouldn't have been failing my first shelf exam. I know Dr. Michael said it wasn't the end all but it felt like it. Just when things started looking up it had a way of coming right back down.

Today was Sunday and that meant Mama would be officially coming home tomorrow. I was excited to have her back in the house, because coming home to two stories of emptiness was getting to me. Hearing the horn, I exited the house and got into Caleb's car.

"Good morning."

"So I see your still alive so your date wasn't some serial killer who stalks girls at the hospital?"

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes.

Not wanting to relive the embarrassment of the entire situation I hadn't spilled the tea to Caleb yet. I didn't want him to know he was right and I didn't want to hear the I told you so, so I kept the information to myself even though a part of me was dying to tell him everything and get his opinion on the matter.

"Mama is coming home tomorrow. You're still bringing me to the hospital, right?" I asked switching subjects

"You know I gotchu."

"Thanks Caleb."

"No problem, T."

"How's the restaurant coming along?"

"Really great. With the way everything is going we should be open within the next month. I'm interviewing potential managers tomorrow, but I had to push them back a little later in the afternoon, but so far so good."

"Caleb," I whined. "You should've told me."

"Relax Trinity. You and mama are family. These managers need me just as much as I need them."

Folding my arms across my chest I huffed a little. Caleb was always coming to my rescue and I disliked it at times. Don't get that confused with me not being appreciative. It's just a part of me that wanted to remain independent and didn't like asking for help. Maybe that's why Caleb and I were best friends. He usually didn't have to ask he knew whenever I needed something.

"I'm thinking of getting a job."

"I thought the whole school and job thing didn't go together."