The lord and the devotee

En başından başla

Shikhar put an arm around him and sent the video to Mahi bhai and called him.

Rohit answered with the phone on speaker mode. "What's up, Shikh? Mahi bhai is playing FIFA with the kids."

"Rohit," began Shikhar, and Rohit knew straightaway that something was wrong. "Virat's not there with you, is he?"

"No!"

"He has called a press conference in Mohali..."

"How do you know?" cried Rohit. "Shikh--were are you?"

"We're in Gandhinagar--Ro, there's no time to explain, just go after Virat to stop him, and give the phone to Mahi bhai."

"Shikhar--what--" began Rohit, but Mahi bhai snatched the phone and asked, "Yes, Shikhar?"

"Mahi bhai, we've sent you a video, develop it immediately," says Shikhar.

"On it. Don't try to hurry back. Who's there with you?"

"Bhuvi and Jaddu."

"Ok. Stay there, and don't panic. We'll manage it here," said Mahi bhai calmly.

They heard Mahi bhai telling the team in the background, "Rohit, Jinks, you two go after him and see if you can stop him."

Shikhar pulled Bhuvi towards the door and said, "Let's take Robin there as soon as possible."

Jaddu told Robin, "Get up!"

Robin was still stretched out on the floor, revelling in his victory. He had clearly not been hearing a word spoken among the others.

Bhuvi didn't even feel angry with him anymore, since he was clearly not right in the head. "Robin, for heaven's sake, get up."

They got on a truck with Robin and started back to Mohali.

_____________

After Rohit and Jinks dashed out, panicking a little, Mahi bhai and Ash settled down with the kids to examine the video.

"Look at Jaddu bhaiya holding that sword," said Kuldeep in awe.

"We need to crop his out so that he doesn't get into trouble," Ash told Mahi bhai, who nodded.

When Robin Rawal was worshipping Bhuvi, Hardik joined in Shikhar and Jaddu's laughter in the video.

"It's not a time for laughing," hissed Jassi scathingly.

They came to the end of the video and Mahi bhai said, "They've done extremely well. We just have to edit the video and develop it. We'll leave for the conference immediately afterwards."

Everyone dedicated themselves to help Mahi bhai.

____________

Rohit was driving at a terrible rash pace from their hotel to check all the public places in the city, and for once Jinks wasn't telling him to slow down.

"Even if we're too late, we can still take back his announcement, can't we?" asked Rohit anxiously.

"Of course," said Jinks, saying what both of them wanted to hear.

They spent the entire drive trying to cheer each other up, till they finally found a crowded place, which could only mean the press conference was starting.

Guards were standing outside firmly as Rohit and Jinks leapt out of the car and ran towards the crowd.

"ID?" demanded one of the guards.

"Idiot!" shouted Rohit. "Virat just went in to end his career and you--"

Jinks pulled Rohit's arm warningly and took out his driving lisence. Rohit did the same.

"Sorry, uninvited people are not allowed entry inside," said the guard infuriatingly and about the same time they heard Virat's magnified voice, "I thank all of you for coming. I have a very important announcement to make."

Rohit and Jinks exchanged a glance, and in one movement, they lunged out and knocked the guard off his feet. The other two guards recovered from their shock and one of them grabbed Rohit's shirt as they were starting to run in.

Jinks hit his arm savagely to free Rohit and grasping each other's arms so that they didn't get separated, they pushed through the crowd to the front.

"In the light of everything that has happened--" Virat suddenly caught sight of Rohit and Jinks standing right in front of him and he faltered.

"WE'VE GOT THE PROOF!" yelled Rohit frantically at the top of his voice, but Virat couldn't hear him above the din.

Virat stared at his best friends uncertainly.

Don't say it, Vi, said Jinks. We've cleared your name.

Virat and Jinks could talk to each other even among all the noise in the world, and Virat's eyes widened as he got Jinks' message, and Jinks almost breathed a sigh of relief.

But then Virat averted his eyes and continued, "--I accept the charges levelled against me and retire from all formats of the game."