20

"Not all pets wear collars."

That phrase had stuck with me for a while, going around my head in an endless loop during sleepless nights. It irked me, completely pissed me off. I wasn't a pet; I belonged to no one.

So why did I feel so trapped?

The thing about life is that the concept of being free is purely an illusion. Everyone is restricted by an invisible hierarchy, built to govern our actions and very souls. The people at the top can dictate every single action that you take, even down to who you marry and how you die. The rich rule and the poor accept it.

The gambling pros rule and the HousePets accept it.

A never ending cycle of misery and pain.

So much pain.

So why can't I strike back? Make them feel pain, make them feel the suffering I've endured?

Is it childish of me to want such a luxury?

Am I just another rich girl out on a revenge journey, with no real consequences attached?

Am I just doing this to feel better about myself?

Perhaps. But I knew that it's what I wanted. I'm not the sweet girl that I once was, begging for retribution in the form of my father striking down Kirari and her family. I won't sit by anyone, letting myself pray that things would get better. I refused to cry anymore, sobbing late into the night.

At first, the pain had hurt me, the dull throbbing of pain burning constantly through my veins. It was unbearable. Submerged underwater, I could barely breathe. Hands had reached out to grab me but I could not surface. It tore me to shreds. But then, something changed.

A viper appeared in my dreams, tempting me to follow my desires and run free. To embrace the real side of me, the part of me that I like to conceal. So I did.

I've grown stronger now, or so I'd like to think.

I'm leaving the collar and shackles behind for good.

Life feels a lot more lighter this way.

And so it's been decided.

All my enemies will know is pain.