5.

Mary was currently seated on the chair in the corner of my room, refusing to even look at me. I had forced her to skip class with me and come back to my room so that we'd be away from prying eyes but she was still clearly angry at me. Sighing, I rose from my seat on my bed and kneeled in front of her."Mary please talk to me." I softly uttered and Mary snorted, folding her arms tighter over her chest. Although it was a negative response, it was the first that Mary had said in the 30 minutes we had been in my room. I gently shook her knee and Mary scowled, hissing at me in annoyance.

"Don't touch me!" She yelled and despite trying to keep my calm composure, I felt rage boil inside me as Mary looked at me like I was scum. I was one of the only people in the school actually trying to help her and all she could do was be horrible towards me. I felt my cheeks get hotter and hotter and all of a sudden, I let all my rage and anger spill out.

"I hate you Mary. I'm the only person trying to protect you and yet you treat me like crap!" I yelled whilst standing up and Mary harshly grabbed me by my collar, tugging me closer to her.

"How, by claiming me as your pet in front of everyone? By being the one to let me die that day when I challenge Yumeko!" Mary screamed and I harshly pushed her back, making her almost stumble and trip over. For a split second, I felt remorse and wanted to see if she was okay but I pushed it to the side, letting my anger take over.

"Don't you dare blame that on me, I warned you about Yumeko and would you rather be left in the clutches of Sora and his friends? They all want you anyways! You're gonna be screwed!" I yelled, and Mary roared, shoving me to the floor.

We rolled around for a while, hitting out at each other, pain flaring through my cheek as Mary struck me hard on the side of my face. Struggling to breath, I huffed and kick her off of me before sitting on her chest, pinning her arms down by her face. During our scuffle we had bumped into my desk, sending papers and pens crashing to the ground. Mary gasped out in pain as one of the pens dug into her lower back, clearly hurting her and a dark blush of pain fell upon her face as she bit her lip in agony.

Breathing heavily, I sat on Mary's chest, glaring at how her golden orbs shined with malice. Every word that Mary had said cut deep and wounded me in ways that weren't physically noticeable but would have a long lasting impact. A long scratch ran down the left side of her face from where I had flailed out at her and I looked into her eyes again, unnerved at how vulnerable Mary looked when she was typically quite strong and prideful. Sighing, I got of her chest and sat on the carpet, pulling my legs into my chest. Mary shifted slightly, probably to stop the pen from digging into her back so much but remained lying down in the same position and we both fell silence, trying to collect our thoughts.

"How did we end up like this?" I softly asked and Mary scoffed before sitting up and crawling over to me. I closed my eyes as I recapped everything that had happened and how hard the situation would be to fix. After a couple of moments, my brain began to hurt so I opened my eyes, knowing that overthinking would do nothing to help the situation at all.

"I'm putting all the blame on Yumeko." Mary darkly muttered and I nodded in agreement. Yumeko had come to the school and shattered everything that Mary and I had worked so hard for; safety and security and if I was being honest, Yumeko didn't care about anyone who got in her way. Tears of rage welled up in my eyes as I was reminded of how much pain she had already caused me.

"I told her that I'd challenge her one day." I said and Mary blinked at me several times before sputtering out laughter. The sudden outburst shocked me and I glared at her as she went red in the face with the effort she was using to laugh with. She finally calmed down, wiping tears from the corner of her eyes and looking at me with the biggest grin on her face.

"Your gambling skills are terrible though!" She hollered and I scowled, hitting her lightly in her arm. She was right though, my gambling skills were average and Yumeko would destroy me if we ever had a match and I knew it. However, seeing all the pain and sadness that she inflicted on Mary made me even more determined to beat Yumeko and restore my friends pride and glory. I smiled and wrapped my arms around Mary, resting my head on her shoulder and inhaling her signature rose perfume, making me think of the time I first met her.

***

I was in the school bathroom, washing my hands at the sink when a girl with golden pigtails pulled an elegant bottle out of her bag and spritzed herself with the liquid. When she noticed me watching, she turned towards me with a soft smile on her face.

"Would you like some?" She said and I nodded my head in agreement, too stunned to say a word. The floral fragrance of roses infused the air and I deeply sighed, a blush taking over my face as the floral scent took over my senses.

"It smells wonderful." I sighed and the girl laughed, clearly amused by my strange antics. Setting the bottle down on the marble counter, she extended a manicured hand towards me.

"You have good taste! I'm Mary, you must be the new girl from the class...sorry, I don't hope you mind me asking your name again." She asked and I shook my head, firmly shaking her hand.

"I'm Aiko, it's nice to met you Mary."

***

I clung onto Mary tighter as I remembered the fond memories that I had of her and that's when I made my mind up. It was Mary and I, no one else was willing to help us so now it was down to me to save my friend.

"Mary, I'm going to save you, I promise." I whispered, hugging her even tighter as she tensed up against me. A warm drop of water splattered onto my hand and it took me a second to process that Mary was crying. We sat there with our bodies, minds and souls intertwined as silent words of reassurance passed between us. One thing was certain though; no matter what would happen to us, we would be okay.

***

Guys I'm so mad I was all ready to post this yesterday but the part got deleted somehow so I had to sit and rewrite it from scratch without remembering most of it so I'm sorry this upload was late, it won't happen again. This chapter is super sad and angsty to give some background information on Aiko and Mary and honestly, this chapter was kind if hard to write for some reason. I originally had Aiko meet Yumeko and Suzui at the end of the chapter but I felt as if Mary and Aiko deserved their own chapter to themselves but we'll be seeing more of the other guys in the next chapter. Also, I hope you guys liked the little flashback I added!

Peace out,

opalft x