Chapter 4

"I think for any relationship to be successful, there needs to be loving communication, appreciation, and understanding."

–Miranda Kerr

Briarwood-Octavian Prep

Verona Hall, Room 105A

Ms. Kirk's Physics Class

Monday, September 2nd

10:06 A.M.

It only took Massie a few seconds to scan the syllabus to know that she wasn't going to enjoy physics one bit. When was she ever going to calculate the velocity of anything anyway? And permanent lab partners? Yuck.

Massie glanced at the person on her right, inwardly groaning. Thanks to Ms. Kirk's alphabetical seating chart, Massie had been placed next to Claire's weird friend, Layne Abeley.

Since Massie had seen her last, she had died her hair a silvery grey and had the top section in two buns and was wearing a distressed AC/DC shirt, bleach splattered skinny jeans, and a pair of black converse. While her fashion sense hadn't improved any, Layne's makeup skills obviously had. Her face was shiny and matte in all of the right places for her face shape and her eyeshadow looked like a perfect example form a Youtube tutorial.

"I better not fail this class because of you." Layne hissed, typing away at a message on her Macbook's screen. Massie squinted her eyes and saw that Layne was demanding answers from Claire as to why she didn't say anything about Massie moving back to Westchester.

"Puh-lease, I need good grades to go to the Ivies." Why did everyone seem to think she didn't care about her grades? Did they all think she was that stupid? Granted, she hadn't paid much attention in class while in middle school, but her entire future depended on how she did in high school!

"Why study when mommy and daddy can just pay for a library to get you in?" Layne rolled her eyes while Ms. Kirk wrote out the lab rules on the board.

"Do I look like one of Lori Loughlin's daughters?" Massie snapped.

"No..."

"Then save the moral lecture for the kids with low SAT scores, Aunt Becky."

"She used bribery, not donations..." Layne rolled her eyes again before muttering something sounding suspiciously like stupid. Massie clenched her fists to keep her from ripping Layne's buns off her head.

"Girls!" Ms. Kirk turned around, placing her hands on her plump hips. "Is there a problem?"

"No!" Massie and Layne said simultaneously in the sweetest voices they could muster. When Ms. Kirk turned back around, both glared at each other.

"There wasn't some stuffy boarding school in England that your parents could've left you at?" Layne whispered-yelled.

"Had I known I'd be stuck with you as a lab partner for an entire semester, I would've begged them to let me stay there." This time Massie rolled her amber eyes and crossed her arms, turning away from Layne to let her know she was done with the conversation.

For a few moments she tried to pay attention to Ms. Kirk's safety rules, but she couldn't focus for very long.

The morning leading up to first period kept playing over and over in her head. Everything had gone according to Massie's plan, until the assembly. Because up until then, she had been under the assumption that Alicia had been BOP's Alpha... because that's what her friends lead her to believe.