I Want A Do-over.

A girl's day is just what the doctor ordered. Jenna and I hit the beauty shop and some local boutiques to scout out potential dinner attire. My vanilla hair now has mocha low-lights and a face framing cut. My nails are decorated like the beautiful fall leaves. "Thank you, Jenna. I needed this. You know I love you, right?"

"Bitch, I know. You would be lost without me." She smiles. I do love her. Even if she is a cocky little shit. "Do you want me to drop you off at your apartment? That way you can get ready?"

"Yes, please!" I dropped Jenna off and drove home made some coffee before I started doing my make up for tonight.

Buzzzbuzzzzbuzzzzz

"Hey Al! Im just checking in to make sure we are still on for tonight? The rest of my family is excited to meet you." How sweet.

"Hey, hey Col! Yes, I am still on for tonight! Jenna and I went and got our hair done. What do you think?" I sent him a silly face showcasing my beautifully blended, coffee inspired hair.

"It makes you look even more beautiful. Which I did not think was possible. ;)"

"Shut up. Flattery gets you nowhere in Alley's world. I am getting ready now see you in a bit." I slapped my phone down on the counter and decided to start with my brows and eye shadow. My new outfit is a long pumpkin colored tunic with black leggings paired with long black boots. My hair was curly, and I decided to wear my glasses tonight. Mostly because my new contacts have not come in and I would be blind otherwise. They make me look smart. I think anyway.

I start to gather my purse and keys its 4:45 and I know Colby will be here soon. He likes to be early, it's a military thing. Knock! Knock! I opened the door "Hey, Colby I am ready!" I say as I step out of my apartment and lock my door. I turn around and make eye contact. "Ready?"

"Oh, wow. You are wearing glasses? I-I really did not know you had them." What is this? "Yeahhhh I ran out of contacts. I know I look like a total nerd, but—'

"Noooooooooo. No. No. You absolutely do not. I really like them." He put his hands in his pockets. "You look so much different. In fact, I think you should wear them more. It gives you a certain edge." I wanted to bust out laughing on the spot. "Ok, idgit. Let's roll." Colby trailed behind me telling me more how fantabulous he thinks I look with my glasses. I have heard about men having a fetish with woman and glasses; but give me a break. I'm not even that cute. "I promise to wear them the week you start work if you shut up." I spat out roughly.

"Pinky promise." He holds out his pinky and I roll my eyes, but I oblige his ridiculous request and kept on moving. "Hey and the skirt from Monday too?" He shouts as he runs to catch up with me. "No." I say smiling and hop in the passenger side of Maggie Mae. Yes, I named his car. No, I don't care if he likes it.

So far dinner has been going smoothly. I have hugged and been hugged by about 1,000 of Colby's friends and family. We are all sitting down at a ridiculously long table about to say grace. Colby's Great Grandpa Samuel asks us all to hold hands for the blessing. I grab ahold of Colby's hand to my right and Jose's to my left as I bow my head. "Dear Lord, we come here together to celebrate the return of my grandson Colby. Thank you for placing your protective arms around my boy and keeping him out of harms way. Bless this food and the ones we love. Wrap your loving arms around those families of those who never made it back home. May they live with you in paradise forever and ever, Amen."

A chorus of "Amens" could be heard as Aunt Gloria announced it was time to dig in. I piled food on my plate and everybody's eyes were wide as the dinner plates themselves. "I am hungry!" I whined. The family laughed I am sure Todd and Becky told them I am a fatass. "So, Colby, when do you return to work?" One of his cousins asked.