18. Change of plans

Start from the beginning

"You've been having nightmares?", Owens questioned.

"Yes... they've been leaving scratches", Jamie responded.

"What do you mean?", Owens asked failing to hide the slight terror on his face.

"I'll have a dream that the dem.. demo-?"

"Demogorgon", Will jumped in.

"Yeah", Jamie confirmed. "It would like... chase me and scratch me and try to hurt me... Sometimes it felt real... and when it did, I woke up with these", Jamie said as she casually pulled her pants down and showed Owens the scratches that ran up her leg.

Will looked away for privacy as Joyce nearly choked on her water when she saw how bad the scratches had gotten.

"Goodness, Jamie. Why haven't you said anything?!", Joyce asked as she came around the table for a closer look.

Jamie shrugged her shoulders as Joyce got closer to the inside of her thigh.

"Um.. Jamie?", Joyce said looking up at her.

"Yes?"

"Were you on your period?", Joyce whispered.

"No, why?" , Jamie said as she furrowed her eyebrows and looked down at her thigh as she slightly separated her legs.

"What is it?", Owens asked as he saw Joyce rubbing the inside of Jamie's thigh.

"Blood...", Joyce mumbled.

Owens' eyes grew wide as he knew this could only be one of a very few things. Owens uncomfortably shifted in his seat and threw his equipment back into his bag.

As El peeked across the table at Jamie, Joyce shooed her away.

"Will go to your room. El, call your father, please.", she said as she placed her hands on her knees to boost herself up from the floor.

"Bring her to my office first thing in the morning, Joyce. First thing!", Owens repeated as he threw his jacket over his arm and let himself out.

Jamie was confused at the sudden change of everyone's emotion in the room. As El and Will quickly disappeared, Joyce put the glasses in the sink and went to the bathroom.

"Come on, sweetie", she called out to Jamie. "Im gonna run you a nice hot bath, okay? We've gotta get you cleaned up", Joyce said as she sat on the side of the tub and let water run over her fingers.

———

"So... what is your plan exactly?", Steve asked as he and Hopper sat at a railroad crossing waiting for a cargo train to pass by.

Hopper scratched his beard and flicked his cigarette out the window. He looked over at Steve who sat in the passenger seat and stared at him, the gun that sat on the back seat, and then back at Steve.

"Oh... okay. Right", Steve said awkwardly as he looked away and sunk into the seat.

Hopper groaned as he took a deep breath and placed the car in park.