Chapter Eleven • Lessons

Start from the beginning

Fortunately, her father had made sure that she learned how to read, which was not something everyone in Thornstead could. He had made a deal with a man who temporarily stayed in the village when Jade was little. In exchange for teaching her to read, he got free vegetables from the garden and the occasional hot meal at their table...

A poor trade for the man but she and her family were grateful.

In the middle of the library, a long table stood. Several candelabras with lit candles stood on it and they spread a soft light. The sun hadn't risen quite fully yet so the light was needed.

At the end of the table stood a woman. In front of her on the table, there were several books stacked. She had her hand on the stack and her eyes were fixed on Jade. She looked like she was expecting her. Jade headed down towards her with a knot in her stomach and her hands clasped before her.

While Jade walked she noticed someone sitting in an armchair in front of a fireplace, quite close to the table.

As Jade came closer she saw that it was William. She frowned in confusion and wondered what he was doing here.

He didn't even look up as she passed him. He was reading something and did not seem to care that she had entered the room.

Good morning to you too... Jade muttered in her thoughts.

"Good morning." The woman greeted Jade, her mouth in a strict line.

There was not as much as a wrinkle in her face, not even crow's-feet. Jade guessed that could be because the woman looked like she hadn't smiled since childhood. It made it quite hard to assume her age... She was definitely older than Jade but could be younger than her parents as well.

"Good morning." Jade answered kindly. The woman frowned and looked Jade up and down. "Did I say something wrong?" She asked immediately and had to disguise her annoyance of the rude look upon the woman.

"It is good that your lessons start today. You obviously do not know that you must curtsy when being greeted." The woman said with a very harsch tone and sharp eyes.

With a muffled clearing of his throat, William made his presence known. The woman seemed to understand something that Jade didn't and her sharp eyes softened somewhat.

The woman threw a nervous glance at him and then clasped her hands. Jade stood confused before the woman and glanced at William.

He was still sitting in the armchair with an old book in his hand. The other hand supported his head while he read. He looked like a statue that hadn't made a sound just a moment ago.

What had he told to the woman  without uttering a single word?

The woman snapped her fingers gently and regained Jade's attention.

"Let us start. You shall herefrom address me as Mrs. Coen. I am your teacher." The woman said and walked over to one of the bookshelves. She fetched two large books and put them down in front of Jade. "Can I assume that you are not illiterate?" Jade looked confused at her. "Can you read?" Mrs. Coen asked sighing.

"Yes. I can read." Jade answered in a snide remark. Mrs. Coen gave her a stern look and raised an eyebrow.

"You forgot to address me." The woman corrected her but overlooked Jade's attitude.

"My apologies, Mrs. Coen." Jade said and fought the urge to raise her eyebrows at the rude woman.

She sat down at the table and Mrs. Coen opened one of the books. It was about etiquette and manners.