Chapter One (Part Three)

"In here!" she hissed quietly to her brother. She indicated with her tail to some reeds that were a few mouse-lengths away. Lakekit nodded and quietly walked as fast as he could over to the reeds, and Shellkit quickly followed.

The black and brown she-kit slowed her breathing and looked behind her. A small creek was flowing there, and Shellkit had an idea.

"I think we can cross it. Then, Lightningfoot won't find us!" Shellkit hissed to her brother. Lakekit's blue eyes widened.

"Do you think we can make it?" he asked, and Shellkit heard worry creep into his mew.

"Sure. It seems shallow enough," Shellkit responded. "It's not that wide. We'll be fine."

Lakekit shot her a glance but Shellkit ignored it, taking a step into the water. After a few more steps, the water was at her belly. The creek was longer than the black and brown she-kit had anticipated.

It's ok, I just need to find some rocks or something that are stable, so I won't fall in the river.

Shellkit beckoned her brother with her tail. He glanced behind them, and so did Shellkit.

"Here comes Lightningfoot!" Lakekit mewed anxiously. Shellkit stared at the other side of the creek. They wouldn't make it in time to hide.

"Get down!" she hissed, knowing that was their only chance.

"Wait, don't go. I smell something," Lightningfoot mewed. Shellkit didn't dare turn to see who was behind them.

"Lightningfoot, you have a terrible sense of smell. There won't be much prey around here, let's keep going," a she-cat responded. Shellkit was pretty sure her name was Marshfeather.

"Marshfeather, it's Lightningfoot's patrol. If he says to stop, then we stop," another she-cat spoke. Shellkit's eyes widened at the voice.

"If the deputy agrees with me, the you certainly can't argue, Marshfeather," the tom meowed tauntingly.

Shellkit and Lakekit crouched in silence. The brown and black she-kit held her breath.

"It goes behind the reeds," Lightningfoot muttered. Shellkit turned around to see a black tabby tom staring at her with wide, hazel eyes. Shellkit heard a yowl behind her.

The brown and black she-kit turned to see her brother floating down the creek.

CHOOSE
A) Swim after him

B) Yell loudly

C) Do nothing

Uh oh, Lakekit. Sorry your sister is so clumsy. Yeah, Shellkit might have accidentally knocked Lakekit into the river... oh well! He'll be fine... right?