Together

Today, I'm getting married. I honestly never believed that this would happen for me, life doesn't fall in my favor but this time it did. Because of Bri. I feel like Romeo, pining over the young Juliet and wanting to be married as soon as possible. Two and a half months took the place of a single day, but the love is no less than what Shakespeare depicted.

        It was easy to plan in such a short space of time. It would be held at the Freakshow (a venue we get for free) on the inside. Not the front steps like Ali and Matt's wedding. We wanted it to be more private than that. Bri got her dress for 30 dollars at a thrift store then fixed it up with some ribbon and spare fabric and I have a tux on hand, of course. We didn't worry about flowers or embellishments like that, it would only be our close family and friends. Todd would marry us using our own vows but not a bible. Neither Bri nor I really practice a religion. Then we'd go to the courthouse and sign the papers. Then...our honeymoon would be in our newly bought apartment near the Freakshow. The one that we'd share together. We both liked working too much to leave for a long while so we decided to take a few days in our place,

        When Bri first got back from Montana she brought her younger sister, Marie, and her mother as well as her best friend Emily. We all went out for lunch the next day so they could meet me. Emily seemed wary of me, knowing that Bri has only known me for two months, but eventually I did something to break the ice and she opened up. Everyone seemed to like me even though I was uneasy being out at a restaurant. But somehow it was easier with Bri there, another thing I have found to love her for.

        My mom had flown in yesterday and the same routine ensued. Except Bri never had to break the ice, my mother loved her, and later told me that Bri would be the best decision I ever made. I didn't doubt her.

        So today's the day, two weeks after her arrival back home and I'm standing on the stage in the Freakshow waiting for my lovely Bri to walk inside and make her way to the stairs. People were sat in chair on the floor and Todd was standing next to me on a crate. This was the happiest day of my life and I really wished I could hate it but I couldn't bring myself to because right now, I realized, it was okay for me to be happy.

        The doors clicked open, and music began to play. She picked it. It was called Drugstore Perfume and she said it was the second best thing to describe how she felt about me next to her vows, which I wasn't allowed to hear until the wedding.

        She walked down the aisle, her dress skipping around her ankles. She was beautiful. 

        No one walked her down the aisle, but her best friend and sister stood at the base of the stairs in their nicest summer dresses waiting for her to meet me at the figurative alter and I knew in that moment that this was our time.

        I was entranced until she stood right in front of me. Then I took her hands in mine and squeezed thinking that this would be the second time that I've cried in front of her. Todd began talking and before I knew it I was speaking my vows. I didn't need a paper, I had memorized them weeks ago.

        "Brier Methot," I said "I spent 24 years and 5 months of my life believing that no one would ever love me. And no one did, until you danced your way into my life two and a half months ago. When I first saw your eyes watching me in that audience my concious mind couldn't make sense of what I was thinking, but my heart knew that you were the one and though I didn't let myself believe it until that day at the party, I knew. Now we're here and tragedy is looming on the horizon but in this moment none of that matters because it's me and you forever. And I know that no matter what we face in our lives, we will from now on face it together and I know that I can make it as long as that stays true. I love you, Bri."  Tears streamed down, not just my face, but Bri's as well. She pulled the piece of paper with her vows on it out of the top of her dress, and laughed,

        "I didn't memorize mine, I didn't get it perfect until last night." The audience chuckled with her , "Jack, Morgue, whatever you want to be called the love that I feel for you is unrequited. My life has never been lined with light until now and I realize now that I had never felt true happiness. I don't know how I lived 19 years and 5 months without you but I did and I'm glad I did because it was my incontent that brought me to Venice Beach, that brought me to you. If I didn't have you here, with me right now I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Tragedy looms and I know that if I didn't have this piece of my life here to lift me up I would be entirely submerged in darkness. To think of you as my husband sends shivers of joy down my spine and I can't wait to kiss you and call myself Mrs. Mister Morgue." By the end she was choking on sobs and her words were choppy and I know that if I were speaking I would have been too. I looked out into our small gathering of friends and family, with smiles on their faces.

        "I do." 

        "I do."

        "You may kiss the bride." I leaned in and inhaled Bri's scent and I kissed her lips. My heart tightened in my chest and I felt like it would burst. I put my arms around her waist and she put hers around my shoulders and everything was perfect. I pulled away, and stared her in the eyes. As I said, best day of my life.