Communication

[I'm sorry that this chapter is short but I will have new, longer material out soon, I promise. I love the feedback I'm getting, thank you all for the support!]

The next day we went into the Freakshow to make the announcement. I know people will be hesitant, they've known Bri for just as long as I have.
"Hey guys." I said as we walked in "we have an announcement."
"Shit, Bri's not pregnant is she?" Creature laughed
"What?"
"Come on you two, we saw both of you leave my party early, but when everyone left Bri's car was still there, and it's windows were steamy. We know." Asia said. Bri and I looked at each other in embarrassment.
"No, I'm not pregnant." Bri said, "we have a different announcement."
Everyone was silent
"We're engaged." I said.
"So you are pregnant?" Creature asked again.
"No, Marcus, I'm not pregnant, Morgue and I just happen to love each other."
"Oh." After that debacle everyone cheered, though some did hesitantly. We hugged people and Bri showed Asia her ring, and everyone seemed genuinely happy. Well, except Phoenix. He was just pretending, I could tell. He was hoping to land Bri. Sorry little buddy.
The show that night was wonderful, and I surprised Bri by bringing her up on stage.
"I would like to introduce you to my new fiancé, Bri." The audience cheered and I was so proud of my Bri, I wanted to show her off to the world.

It was three weeks of happy engagement before disaster struck.
It was during a show. I was performing when I saw Bri answer the phone out of the corner of my eye, and walk into the back room.
She never missed my performances, something was wrong. I was almost done when Bri walked out of the back room in quiet tears, and whispered something to Todd before heading outside.
Shit.
I walked off stage quickly without finishing my act and went to talk to Todd.
"Todd what's wrong?"
"I don't know, she told me that she couldn't perform tonight and asked me to tell you she'd be outside." I ran out the doors as Asia took over the stage, and found my fiancé sitting on the front steps in tears.
"What's wrong?" I sat down behind her so she was in between my legs and rubbed her shoulders.
"It's my mom. She has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She has only weeks left, Jack." She had begun calling me by my real name as a sign of affection or when she was sad.
"Oh my God...Bri."
"I have to go back to Montana and stay with her until she passes."
"I'll go with you. I-"
"No Morgue. You have to stay here and do your job. I will call every night. I promise, alright. I won't forget you, ever. You're still my fiancé, and when-" she choked on tears for a moment, "when I get back we'll get married. We can plan while I'm gone. But, I'm catching the earliest flight I can."
"Alright. We'll do that." I hugged her "I didn't know you were from Montana. That's where I grew up."
"I guess when you get engaged after only knowing someone for two months you find there's a lot you don't know about them."
"Yeah. We could go back to my apartment and talk for a while before you get on your plane."
"I'd like to do that. Maybe while I pack?"
"Yeah."
"I guess this would be a good opportunity to call my mom and tell her I'm engaged."
"Same." We both laughed a little.
"Alright Morgue, let's go home."