04 | Free Fall

A consistent tapping noise filled the small space of the elevator, swiftly resulting in Clarke slyly elbowing her best friend in the side when she saw the blonde anxiously bouncing her finger against the drink carrier in her hands. The four drinks quietly sloshed in the paper cups from the motion. An innocent smile spread across her lips when their coworker from sales accidentally witnessed the interaction.

All morning, Kara frantically ran around the apartment, half dressed, wondering how people would react to the mysterious hero from last night and what they thought of her heroic rescue mission. Clarke could only wonder if her best friend was on some sort of high from using her powers after suppressing them for so long.

Clarke understood the secret of Kara's true self had to remain a secret from the public. Her best friend still wanted to live a normal life, all while being able to save others in danger when they needed help, but under a new persona. The two agreed not to tell anyone about Kara's powers, knowing it would be the best thing for both of them— and Alex— to keep everyone safe.

The world could be a dangerous place and Clarke feared for everyone she cared about— her mind drifted to Winn— if someone ever found out the truth about Kara. People were known for going after friends and family to hurt the person they fear. She's seen all the movies and shows like that.

"Stop," she lowly whispered under her breath, moving her eyes around the elevator, afraid of someone potentially overhearing and figuring everything out.

The blonde pressed her lips together and tightened her grip on the drink carrier. "Sorry," Kara whispered back just as quietly. Her sky blue eyes casually drifted over the back of their coworkers' heads in front of them. "I'm just excited."

Clarke bit down on the inside of her cheek and reached for the coffee cup with her order written on it from the carrier. She didn't blame Kara for being excited. National City never had anything like this before. Metropolis was always the one to have the excitement of having a superhero live there. This was big for their city. There wasn't a person in radius of National City that wasn't talking about the events of last night.

The elevator dinged upon arrival.

As the doors slid open, a loud ambience of voices infiltrated the tiny space and filled everyone's ears, sparking an interest amongst them. The work floor usually consisted of light conversations and the coffee machine buzzing. People hurried off of the elevator without waiting for the doors to fully open, leaving the two girls to stand in the center, intrigued by what they may encounter once they followed everyone else. They waited a couple seconds before they stepped out on the floor.

Clarke's mouth parted when she saw the television closest to the elevator showed a news channel broadcasting the events from last night. She promptly shut her mouth and peered around the rest of the floor that was visible to her, flabbergasted. Every television had a different National City news channel playing the low resolution video clip from last night.

Her grip tightened around her drink, purposely taking sip of the hot, sweet liquid to prevent herself from squealing with excitement. She trailed a couple inches behind Kara as she led the way through small groups of people to their desks outside of Cat's office. She nearly bounced with elation with every step she took across the carpeted floor in her cream heels.

She felt honored and a little dazed to be in on the secret of who the mysterious hero was in National City. Everything simply felt too surreal to her. Her best friend for most of her life was capable of such wonderful powers, saved a plane full of people, and she was just now finding out.

"Despite extensive efforts, no one has been able to identify who, or rather, what she is." A familiar female reporter appeared on the television screen near their desks with the common clip of the unidentified girl on the wing of the plane.