Chapter 22- The night it falls apart pt1.

(Dresses above;; order is Riley, Ashley, Hollie

(Dresses above;; order is Riley, Ashley, Hollie.)

I stare at the dress hanging on the wardrobe and for some reason, instead of moving to get ready, I keep thinking of the way Ashley kept looking at me and Luke today at school and shaking her head.

She looked so pitiful. As if we were breaking up or arguing or something. We're the total opposite.

I feel like i'm missing something.

I shake the feeling off, going for a shower. I untie my hair and let the warm water run around me.

I have a couple hours to get ready and it's actually loud in the house for once as I hear Emma potter about downstairs and pull pans and bowls out of cupboards.

When I'd finally arrived back from Luke's this morning, breathless and throughly kissed, Darren had simply looked me up and down and rolled his eyes. He wasn't stupid.

Emma completely ignored what an obvious mess I was and hugged me fiercely, blabbing on about how happy she was to finally meet me.

As if it wasn't my brother keeping us apart. 

I try to close out the hum of downstairs as I get ready, turning on my music. Everything goes pretty smoothly and as I pat down my dress, a chap at the door almost makes me jump.

"Come in!" I call. The door cracks open slowly to reveal Darren, his face a mask of worry mixed with surprise.

"You look..lovely." He manages. I offer a smile, sitting on the bed to adjust my heels. "So is that Luke guy your boyfriend?"

"He is." I rub my neck, feeling a little awkward. Please god don't let him think he has to have the 'chat.'

"He seems nice. You seem happy." He comments and sits next to me. I tense up a little.

"I am." I answer. What the hell is going on?

"Okay, I see that look. Relax." Darren practically snaps, rolling his eyes. "I'm just here to say you look nice. And we'll be staying for a while."

"A while?" I look towards the door, where the sound of Emma humming made its way up the stairs. I thought I'd be horrified by the news but I surprisingly wasn't.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to come in and clamp down and wreck your freedom. But we'll live here for a little bit. Emma really wants to know you." He shrugs. I roll my eyes, going to grab my purse.

"Glad to know you came back because of Emma, not your own accord." I mutter, also grabbing my jacket.

Darren stands up, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I want to know you Riley. I've been the shittiest brother, I know. But Emma asked me to come here with her and try."