nightmares [eighteen]

summary;
- varian has a nightmare about losing his father and the black rocks, scared, (y/n) is there to comfort him

v

arian was in his laboratory, working on getting rid of the black rocks. it wasn't going so well, though, but that didn't mean he was willing to give up. "never give up ruddiger," he told his raccoon companion, lightly banging his first on the table before grabbing a bright yellow liquid and poured a green liquid into it, mixing it. "so our last foruma didn't deliver quite the reaction we hoped," he paused for a moment and lifted up the mixture and peered at it.

"so what, the important thing is that we got a reaction," taking the mixture he walked over to one of the black rocks growing in his house, and slowly began to pour the liquid onto it. though he had been interrupted by his father, quirin, entering the room. "son, i just wanted," ruddiger ran and hide under the table, and varian to quickly turn around, spilling the mixture all over the black rock.

noticing the liquid dripping down, quirin's tone immediately changed as he made his way towards varian. "varian i told you to stay away from those rocks," he stood before varian, clearly unhappy that varian disobeyed his orders, when he had only wanted to keep him safe.

"um, yeah okay i-i know what you said but dad─" varian was cut off as he stumbled for words, his dad pushing him along as he walked.

"then there should be no misunderstanding," quirin slightly rose his voice, his frustration evident in his voice and expression. "now listen to me when i─" he was abrubtly cut off by varian shoving his father, having had enough with his un-needed scolding when he had done nothing wrong.

"no! no, you listen to me dad. our village is dying! you think running away from the problem is gonna fix it? no these rocks aren't going away," he raised his voice, trying to make his father understand. he was so close to finding something to get rid of them, so, so close.

"i know, varian, but there are more to them than you can possibly imagine." his father argued, only making varian more confused and frustrated.

"then why won't you tell me? dad!" his father ignored him as he walked straight past him. "i just─i deserve to know!" waiting for an answer, varian didn't notice the growing neon green crystals forming on the spike of a black rock, quickly increasing in size.

"i'm sorry son, you are not ready," quirin stated in a much calmer tone, having calmed down. he turned around to face his son, and when he did his eyes widened in shock, immediately noticing the crystals. "varian watch out!" he shouted, running towards his son. who turned around in confusion, watching the crystals expand in a horrific rate. with no time to move out of the way, quirin pushed him away just in time.

being pushed a little too roughly, varian rolled on the floor before getting up. the neon crystals had grown, turning an amber colour, over-taking the black rock and encasing his father's arm. "dad!" jumping to his feet, he ran towards his father, horrified.

"hold on, dad─hold on! i-i'll get you out!" he exclaimed, glancing around the room for anything that could help. but before he could move closer, his father stopped him reaching out his hand.

"no! stay back," his arm falling, the amber like substance continued to grow around him. he didn't even try to fight back, why wasn't he fighting back? he could barely move as more of his body was encased in the amber, and he just... let it happen.

sharp spikes sprouted out, forcing varian to move back. "n-no! i have to save you! dad!" tears prickling his eyes, varian could only watch as the crystal consumed his father. and there was nothing he could do about it, he couldn't stop it. "d-dad, n-no..." he fell to his knees, tears falling from his eyes.