Chapter 33: He Did It Again

Start from the beginning

“Why are you calling me?” I whispered. This wasn’t fair, I missed him. I missed the way he used to look at me, the way he said I love you, the way his eyes would light up when he was talking about something he liked. I missed the way our hands seemed to fit perfectly in one another’s, the way my fingers ran through his unruly hair, and the way our lips molded against each other’s with ease.

“I miss you!” He shouted into the phone. I choked over my own words, the only thing repeating in my head was that he missed me, he actually missed me. “I miss you so so much, and… and.. Woah! Okay, no pushing please. I almost fell over,” He chuckled, and at that time I realized his words were slurring. He didn’t actually miss me, he was drunk.

“Are you drunk? Where are you?” I asked, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. I would have liked to think that the only reason I was asking where he was and not hanging up was because I didn’t want him to drink and drive if he had to. Which was true, but the real reason, was I wanted to keep hearing his voice. It was embarrassing, how after he broke my heart, I still wanted to hear him speak, even if he drunk dialed me. I still was attached to him more than necessary. I should hate him, despise him even, but I didn’t. I couldn’t.

“Where do you think I am sweetheart? I’m at Tyler’s holiday party!” He paused and then quickly added, “It’s fun, but it would be more fun if you were here.” I took in a sharp breath as those words hit close to home. Of course it would be more fun if we were together and happy. But it was his fault that we were like this, so broken and hurt.  

“Okay, that’s great, now go have more fun without me,” I urged, trying to hang up the phone. I knew if we kept talking like this, it would only hurt more when everything went back to normal and he didn’t miss me.

“But I want you… I love you, and I miss you. I want you back, you’re the only one for me.” He whined. I want you too, I love you too, I miss you too, I wanted to reply, but I held myself back and didn’t respond, again listening to his heavy drunken breathing. “You know what, I’m coming to your house!” He shouted cheerfully and I shot upright in bed, almost screaming no into the phone. I ignored the quick throb of pain and dizziness I felt and tried to stop him from getting into the car.

Who knows what would happen? He could possibly die and I would never forgive myself if he did.

“I’ll come to you, don’t get in the car,” I repeated sternly, throwing the covers off my bed and standing up with my crutches. The only thing I had on was sweatpants and Dylan’s t-shirt that he left here before he moved out. It reminded me of him and it felt like I had a part of him with me, as did the bracelet that I haven’t taken off since I gotten. I didn’t bother to change and made my way out of my room.

“You’re coming? Yay! I’ll see you when you get here!” And then he hung up, just like that. I knew my brother and sister were at this party so there was no point in calling for them. So, I crutched my way to my car which I haven’t driven since I have gotten hurt. Hopefully I will be alright.

The things I do for this boy… Even after he has broken my heart twice.

***

When I reached Tyler’s house, the whole street was covered by cars. The loud music was piercing through my skull, making me wince as I continued to drive closer and closer. Tyler was lucky he didn’t have close by neighbors as he would have gotten a hundred complaints by now. I drove up to the house and parked in the empty spot on the driveway that was left open for our friends. Most of them parked on the long drive way, but some parked in his garage leaving space open.

As I slowly got out of the car, ignoring the pain from my concussion, I made my way to the door. I saw a black figure hunched over on the stairs, his form shaking from the cold. My heart started beating against my chest as I got closer.

“Dylan?” I called. The boy’s head shot upright and I realized it wasn’t Dylan. My heart dropped as I knew I would have to go inside Tyler’s house to actually find him. I called his number in hopes he would pick up, but I groaned as it went straight to voicemail.

I hobbled up the stairs, apologizing to the boy and pushed open the door. The stench of alcohol and sweat quickly flooded my nose, making me even dizzier than I already was. I really shouldn’t be doing this, but oh well, I came for Dylan. He’s like the exception to everything.

I found Ryder and Nicole making out in the hall on the way to the kitchen and I made a noise of disgust. Watching your brother make out with your best friend is really not the highlight of the night, that’s for sure.

Pushing past them, I made sure I wasn’t that noticeable as Ryder would send me straight home without discussion and I needed to get to Dylan. Quickly pushing my way into the kitchen I found a somewhat sober Zach playing beer pong.

“Zach!”

“Nina? What are you doing here?” He asked, before bouncing the ping pong into a cup, scoring.

“Where’s Dylan?” I urged hurriedly. I had to get out of here soon, I was about to die from the pain I was feeling.

“Last time I saw him he was in the living room,” Zach shrugged, and turned back to the game. I thanked him, and limped to where Zach directed me.

Pushing past so many people with crutches was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I finally made it to the living room but man, I really wish I hadn’t.

It felt as if my whole world stopped. All the pain and anger I have ever felt rushed forward all at once, leaving me breathless. I felt my heart shatter and I felt my eyes fill up with heartbroken tears.

He did it once again. He’s hurt me like no one ever has and he did it again.

I wanted to scream, I wanted to scream so loudly as Ronnie and I connected eyes and she gave me the most triumphant smirk I have ever seen. She then pulled the back of Dylan’s head slowly to hers, never breaking eye contact with me as their lips connected.

It didn’t even look like he was putting up a fight.

************************************************************************************************************

Well hello everyone! Were you expecting this?! Why do you think this happened? What will happen when Dylan realizes Nina saw?? Will they ever get back together?!

I guess you'll find out soon since there are only FOUR CHAPTERS LEFT!!! 

Goals for this chapter:

Reads: 11,000

Votes:1,300

Comments: 500

This chapter is dedicated to one of my best friends Alyssa. I tortured her all week threatening to tell her what happened at the end of this chapter, but instead kept telling her the wrong endings.. I love you Lyss :) And now you know she does not get pregnant! ;) 

I did not make the cover on the side. One of my lovely supporters did :)

Not much to say this time, except love you all and I can't believe Code Red has reached 3,000,000 reads!! Thank you!!

Xo,

Sam

P.S. Happy late Halloween! What were you all this year? I was Minnie Mouse :)