14

Michael hailed a cab as Calum hugged his coat tightly around his body. It was early in the morning and the two boys were on their way to Calum's appointment with his doctor. Calum was a mixture of both excitement, nerves and exhaustion. 

On the other hand, Michael was so tired the he hadn't really gotten through his head what was happening. He was dead tired, due to the fact he stayed up late last night marvelling about what had happened with him and Calum and Google searching other romantic things to do in New York. 

A cab finally pulled up in front of them and Calum mentally thanked God because he was freezing. Michael held the door open for Calum and Calum smiled at him before quickly climbing into the cab. Michael climbed in after him then told the cab driver where they were headed. 

Calum cuddled into Michael's side as they drove to the hospital and they both ignored the ugly looks the cab driver was giving them in the rear view mirror. Michael just held Calum close, keeping him warm and calming down his nerves. 

When they arrived at the hospital, Calum and Michael climbed out of the car and Michael paid the cab driver, who sped off afterwards quite quickly. 

"He was rude." Michael scoffed as him and Calum walked up to the hospital hand in hand. Calum nodded in agreement, leaning against Michael as they walked. 

They walked inside the hospital and straight to the front desk since it was early and there was no line up. 

"Hello, we're here to see Dr. Long." Michael told the lady behind the counter, flashing a sleepy smile to seem more polite. It seemed like everyone they ran into in New York was rude, and maybe this lady felt the same way, so Michael wanted to be as polite as possible. 

The lady surprisingly smiled back. "And what's your name?" She asked, clicking onto something on the computer that sat in front of her. 

"I'm Michael Clifford, but we're here for Calum Hood." Michael explained, pointing back to Calum who waved timidly. 

The lady smiled at Calum also then started typing things into her computer. "Ah, yes. Here you are." She hummed. She ripped a piece of paper from a notepad then jotted something down, handing it out to Michael afterwards. "Floor 3, room 345.'

Michael looked down at the paper which just had what the lady had just said on it, just in case they forgot, then nodded. "Ok, thank you." He chirped, then grabbed Calum's hand again and led him to the elevator. 

They took the elevator up to the third floor then wandered down the hallway until Calum tapped Michael's shoulder because he spotted room 345. Michael knocked on the door from Calum and an older lady opened the door who had light red hair, glasses and doctor attire on. 

"Hello, who are you?" She asked, not opening to door fully. She just had her head and a bit of her body peeking out. 

Michael awkwardly cleared his throat. "I'm Michael Clifford and this is Calum Hood." He told her, gesturing to Calum who again timidly waved. 

The lady's expression changed and she opened the door fully. "Oh, welcome! I don't get a lot of people by here and I guess I forgot I was expecting you. I'm Dr. Long." She introduced, holding out her hand. 

Michael shook her hand then Calum as well before she let the two boys into her office. It was a pretty basic doctors office, except for the personalized family pictures scattered around her desk area. 

"Take a seat." Dr. Long smiled, pointing to the two chairs position in front of her desk. Michael and Calum both sat down and Michael reached out to hold Calum's hand to keep him somewhat sane. 

Dr. Long sat at her desk, cleared her throat then smiled. "Ok, first: Calum, is Michael going to answer for you or do you have a notepad of some sort to answer?" She asked politely. 

Calum blushed slightly, tugging his notepad out of his pocket with his free hand and wrting down 'A little bit of both.'

She smiled and nodded. "So, have long have you been without speaking?" She asked and Calum crossed out what he'd previously wrote and wrote 'Since I was seven years old.' underneath it. 

"You'll need speech therapy then, since you've gone to long without speaking." She said, jotting something down in a notebook. "Does it hurt when you try to speak, Calum? Or does it feel the same as how speaking felt before except nothing audible comes out?"

Calum wrote to her that the second option was more accurate of how he felt when he tried to speak. Questions like this went on for a bit, Michael answering only a couple. Michael was proud that Calum slowly started opening up around Dr. Long. 

After the questions, Dr. Long took Calum for a check up then an x-ray of his vocal cords. Calum was nervous to get the x-rays done but Michael held his hand through it and t made him feel better. 

The last thing they did was dicuss what would happen during the surgery; what the were gong to do exactly to bring back Calum's voice. Though Calum didn't understand half of what Dr. Long was saying, he still nodded and began to fill with excitement. 

"Goodbye, Calum. See you next week for your check up." Dr. Long smiled warmly as Calum and Michael left her room. Calum waved goodbye, his smile stretched across his face widely. 

Next week, he'd have one more check up, then the week after he'd have his surgery. Calum felt like he was in a dream. This was all he'd ever wanted and now it was coming true. 

+

thank you quantum-fags for making the new cover!! ily ((:

four or three more chapters in this booK-

im too lazy to edit this

update on my life; bae (my crush) liked my instagram post that was like a picture that said 'dear crush, fall in love with me please.' and little does he know it's aboUT HIM. but srs he wore a woody hat for halloween and slay me it was adorable af. 

calum is daddy af

im obsessed with bioshock infinite

elizabeth is hot

pce