11

Calum, Luke, Michael and Ashton were all sprawled out on the floor at Calum's house. Ashton was talking about how dreamy he thought Alex Gaskarth's eyes were and Luke was humming his agreements. 

Michael was absentmindedly playing with Calum's fingers, intently watching them as he lifted then dropped them back onto the carpet. He looked like an absolutely fascinated kitten. 

Ever since Michael and Calum's friendship had been redeemed, Michael had been really touchy- more touchy than before. Calum guessed it was because Michael no longer was in a relationship and wouldn't feel like he was cheating if he got touchy with someone else. 

"You guys are adorable." Luke suddenly said, snapping Calum out of his gaze on Michael playing with his fingers. Michael also snapped out of his daze, his cheeks burning bright red. He pulled his hand away from Calum's and Calum glared at Luke for ruining the moment. 

Luke laughed. "What do you guys want to do? I'm bored." He whined, resting his chin on his hands and kicking up his feet like Katy Perry in the California Girls music video. 

Ashton watched him and laughed softly. "Well, we could play video games, but I think we've played through all of Calum's video games at least twice." He stated, huffing lightly afterwards. 

"We can just go out and buy a game to play!" Michael suggested, a smile on his face as if he was extremely proud of himself for coming up with such a complex and smart idea. 

Luke raised an eyebrow. "Do you have any money to buy that? I know I don't." He told him and shortly after, Ashton added a "Me neither!"

Michael sighed. "Me neither. Well, maybe we could-"

He was cut off by the door opening and everyone turned to see Joy standing in the doorway, smiling halfheartedly. "Hi, boys." She greeted with a small wave. "Uh, Calum, I have some news... Would you like to step out or is it ok if your friends are here?"

Calum just shrugged but then paled a bit when he saw his mother subtly point to her throat, hinting it was about his mutism. He nodded this time because he had nothing to hide around his friends, after all. 

"Well, Dr. Noels called," She explained, a more content smile forming on her face. "And she said she'd found a doctor who specializes in the vocal chord, throat area who does a surgery on people with mutism to bring their voice back." 

Calum's eyes bugged out of his head and he could feel his heart thudding against his chest at what he swore was an unhealthy speed. He couldn't believe this, it was so surreal. It felt like a dream or like his mother was just fucking with him. 

The first person Calum heard after his mum was Michael. "Oh my God, Calum!" He shrilled, throwing his arms around Calum and hugging him tightly. Michael knew how much talking meant to Calum and how down he'd get when reminded he couldn't speak. He was overjoyed by this news. 

A smile slowly twisted it's way onto Calum's lips and he hugged Michael back just as tight. Realization was setting in. This was real life and he may get his voice back. His eyes began to prick with tears from not only happiness but also because he was overwhelmed with emotion. 

Joy cleared her throat. "But there is bad news. The doctor is all the way in New York, sweetie. Me and your father couldn't afford that time off work, plus the travel fees, plus the cost for the sugery. And Mali Koa turned down the offer-"

"I'll go." Michael said suddenly, looking at Joy with seriousness etched on his face. "I can go with him and I'll make sure he's ok and it'll also be a fun trip together." He added, looking at Calum and smiling. 

"You'd really do that, Michael?" Joy asked, slightly overwhelmed as well because she had thought she was going to let down her son by not going but now with Michael going, she felt so happy that her baby boy would get something back that he's wanted for a while. 

Michael turned back to Joy. "Of course! We can't just turn down the opportunity for Calum to get his voice back!" He exclaimed, then turned back to Calum. "So, what d'ya say, Cal?"

Calum smiled, a tear slipping from his eye. Michael was just about to start rapidly apologizing, not fully understanding it was a happy tear, but Calum threw his arms around Michael's neck and hugged him tighter than he'd ever hugged anyone. 

He wanted to continuously thank Michael and tell him he loved him, but he just hugged and buried his face into Michael's neck, smiling the widest he could. 

Joy left after explaining all the details to Michael and saying that'd she'd call Michael's parents to tell them about it. Luke, Ashton and Michael started talking about it and Michael threw in a couple comments on how 'cute' Calum's voice would sound- making Calum blush. 

That night Calum practiced saying words, even though no sound came out. He was beyond excited. 

+

wow that was bad and short sorry!! i'm trying to progress the story a bit fast bc i get bored and don't finish writing filler chapters. 

ok so i need a cover bc i'm not happy with the one i have now :\\ so i'm gonna hold a little contest and all you need to do is make a cover for this story, kik it to me (@;michaelgcliffrd) and then the deadline will be on halloween and on halloween i'll pick my favorite and dedicate the next chapter to them yay!!!

update on my crush; HE WORE A GREEN DAY SHIRT OSBFKJDSFDSKBAFKA good music taste is such a turn on my god why won't he notice me pLS NOTICE ME 

this is the longest a/n i have ever made but whatever. 

i have two new story ideas and ones kinda based on shakesphere's 'a midsummer's night dream' and the other is based on a buzzfeed video and the buzzfeed one i need your opinions on. 

comment here if it should be muke

here if mashton

or here if malum !!!

yayy ok that's it sorry this was so long. but if you like long authors notes you should tell me and i'll like update you on my life if you guys give a shit!!

ok byeeee love you guys!! <3