The Wonders of Vale: 17

I don't know that I want to describe what Vale means by the term "lift". Let's just say that the inhabitants of that fine town have stronger stomachs than you or I.

We were... conveyed... to the summit of (for lack of a better name for it) Mount Vale, and when we had finished shrieking (me), gibbering (Miranda), cursing (surprisingly, Jay), and shaking (Emellana), we were at leisure to notice a few things about it.

One: the wind. One might expect a high wind up at such a height, certainly, but the hair-tossing, screaming, ferocious wind we encountered up there was... shall I call it vindictive? I stood braced at the summit, the peculiar, motley town of Vale spread far below me, hanging onto my shirt for grim death because the damned mischievous mistral seemed intent upon wresting it from me.

'Everyone all right?' I yelled over the noise, and I'm fairly sure no one heard so much as a syllable.

Two: Unusual light conditions. The afternoon was wearing on by then, but it shouldn't have been anywhere near dark yet. At the top of Mount Vale, though, a deep, glimmering twilight reigned, and attractive as it was, I found the effect foreboding.

Three: magick. I ought perhaps to have mentioned that first, because Emellana's instincts were promptly proved more or less right. If Vale in general was a magick-drowned town, up there was the centre, the source of it all, and no wonder the light and the weather weren't right. Nothing could be, in a mess like that. Magick thrummed through the ground beneath my feet, and set my bones vibrating. Magick made my head swim and my heart pound; magick made me mighty and weak, shallow and profound, pink and purple— no, lost the train of thought. Magick. Made it difficult to think clearly.

I shut my eyes for a while, hoping by that means to force my disordered brain to focus.

It worked. Sort of.

What we didn't find up there was much of anything but wind and whimsy and gloaming. Unsurprising, perhaps? What manner of structure could survive such conditions? If it withstood the weird weather, it couldn't resist the magick. Five minutes, and it would make a bubble of itself and float away, or stalk back down the mountain again on chicken legs.

I mean, anything was possible up there. Anything.

There were griffins, though.

Oh my, were there griffins.

I've been up close and personal with a griffin or two before. You may recall. The first time, I was convinced I was about to get eaten, and didn't get much chance to examine the creature. The second time was better, but still... I've never been so close to a griffin before, nor had such leisure to admire it.

They're beautiful, and terrifying. Majestic. Magnificent. Vast, all muscle and feather and hide, wreathed in magick of a potency I couldn't have dreamed of only a few weeks ago.

And that was bad, because Mir was right: these creatures were wrong. They wafted past us on the wing, utterly oblivious to our presence, dancing upon those currents of air with the grace of butterflies. Lightning — not light at all, but raw, intense magick — glittered around them, darting from wing to wing, crackling over their backs and igniting their claws with white fire. There was far too much there, far, far more than the griffins of Farringale had borne. And still they ignored us.

We stood in awed silence for a time, watching as those mighty beasts circled slowly around the summit of Mount Vale, and around us, standing motionless at its centre. And I realised that the winds and the griffins danced in tandem, and in a pattern perfectly regular. Like automated figures on a cuckoo-clock, their perfect circuit never varied.